This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
ANALYSIS OF A NEW WATER HAMMER GASOLINE DIRECT INJECTION SYSTEM (WH-GDIS)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recent research on internal combustion spark ignited engines has focused more and more on charge control by means of direct injection.
Nevertheless most of the systems proposed so far do not seem to be suitable for small engines as they are high-cost.
A new direct injection system, based on the hydraulic phenomenon commonly known as “water hammer” has been recently proposed by the authors to be used for small two-stroke engines.
It constitutes a reliable means of achieving high injection pressures while maintaining the simple manufacturing and low-cost characteristics of this kind of engines. It is equipped with a low-pressure fuel pump and provides high injection pressure values thanks to the conversion of the kinetic energy of the fluid into a local pressure rise, which takes place when the fuel flow is suddenly halted by an automatic valve.
The first results from a simulation code which takes into account of cavitation and column separation phenomena typical of the system's behaviour are presented.
The influence of various parameters on system's performances is discussed.
CitationBartolini, C., Caresana, F., and Vincenzi, G., "ANALYSIS OF A NEW WATER HAMMER GASOLINE DIRECT INJECTION SYSTEM (WH-GDIS)," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1816, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1816.
- Bartolini C.M. Caresana F. Vincenzi G. 1996 “Direct Injection in Two-Stroke Spark-Ignition Engines: Some Proposals and Researches” SAE paper n° 961710 - Powerplants of the Future (SP-1187) 47 55 Collection of papers from the “Powerplants” sessions of the 1996 SAE Future Transportation Technology Conference & Exposition Vancouver, Canada August 5 8 1996
- Bartolini C.M. Caresana F. Vincenzi G. 1998 “Experimental analysis of a New Water Hammer Gasoline Direct Injection System (WH-GDIS)” SAE paper 981936 , SP-1376, 1998 SAE FTT Future Transportation Technology Conference and Exposition Costa Mesa, California, USA August 11 13 1998
- Bartolini C.M. Caresana F. Vincenzi G. 1998 “Impianto di Iniezione Diretta a Colpo d’Ariete per Motori ad Accensione Comandata” II 1575 1586 Firenze 15-18 Settembre 1998
- Bartolini C.M. Caresana F. Vincenzi G. 1999 “A Two-Stroke Engine Prototype Equipped with the Water-Hammer Gasoline Direct-Injection System (WH.GDIS) ASME - ICE Technical Conference Fall 1999 Ann Arbor, Michigan October 16-20 1999
- Bartolini C.M. Caresana F. Vincenzi G. 1999 Roma novembre 1999
- Bartolini C.M. Caresana F. Vincenzi G. 2000 Settembre 2000
- Provoost G. A. Wylie E. B. 1981 “Discrete gas model to represent discributed free gas in liquids” Proc. 5 th Int. Symp. on column separation International Association of Hydraulic Research The Netherland 249 258
- Wylie E. B. 1984 “Simulation of vaporous and gaseous cavitation” J. Fluids Engrg. 106 3 307 311
- Zielke W. 1968 “Frequency-dependant Friction in Transient Pipe Flow” J. Basic Engrg 90 109 115