This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automated Procedure for Cooling-Fan Analysis and Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 14, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Axial-flow cooling fan design has traditionally been a difficult and time-consuming enterprise, especially when elements like blade sweep (or skew) are incorporated for noise-reduction purposes. Computational fluid dynamics, or CFD, has been implemented with some success, but still requires a great deal of engineering effort and computer resources. To address the limitations of conventional Navier-Stokes CFD simulation in the fan-design process, a new computer program has been developed. The program is a three-dimensional airflow prediction tool that applies the underlying principles of CFD without the difficulties of complex model development and slow turn-around. In addition to the analysis function, the program includes a straightforward iterative design feature. In design mode, the user enters the volumetric flow rate, pressure rise, and rotating speed at the operating point, and the program converges to a solution by adjusting blade geometric parameters such as setting angle and camber.
CitationBrendel, M. and Neely, M., "Automated Procedure for Cooling-Fan Analysis and Design," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1769, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1769.
- Brendel M., iFAN: Theory, internal research paper, Lau Industries, Inc. (2000).
- Anderson J. D., Jr., Fundamentals of Aerodynamics (1984) 166-175.
- Kerwin J. E., Kinnas S., Lee J.-T., and Shih W.-Z., A surface panel method for the hydrodynamic analysis of ducted propellers, Trans. SNAME, 95 (1987).
- Lee J.-T., A potential based panel method for the analysis of marine propellers in steady flow, Doctoral dissertation, M.I.T., Department of Ocean Engineering (1987).
- Hsin C.-Y., Kerwin J. E., and Kinnas S. A., A panel method for the analysis of the flow around highly skewed propellers, in Proceedings of the SNAME Propellers '91 Symposium, Virginia Beach, Virginia (1991).
- Katz J. and Plotkin A., Low-Speed Aerodynamics (1991).