This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Performance Prediction of Front-End Heat-Exchange Modules
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 14, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The application of high performance engines and climate control systems, coupled with constraints relating to vehicle styling, aerodynamics and underbonnet packaging, continues to present demanding thermal management challenges in the design and layout of the front-end cooling module. Several computational fluid dynamics techniques are now available to assist in this design and packaging process, but many of these require a high level of specialization from the user. The work reported here outlines a relatively simple 1-dimensional technique to aid in the analysis and optimization of the cooling pack configuration. The tool can be used interactively by a multi-skilled vehicle engineer throughout the entire design and development of a new vehicle.
CitationJones, M. and Fletcher, D., "Thermal Performance Prediction of Front-End Heat-Exchange Modules," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1765, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1765.
- Bennett, J. Automotive Cooling System Simulation with Coupled FLOWMASTER2 (1D) and STAR-CD (3D) Flow Analysis Codes 3 rd North European FLOWMASTER Users Conference Towcester, UK November 17 2000
- Grafenberger, P Klinner, P Nefischer, P Klingebiel, F. Simulation of Engine Cooling with Coupled 1D and 3D Flow Computation ATZ Journal Germany 1 April 2000
- Pembery, J G Doyle, C T Efficient Engine Cooling Systems - A Computer Aided Approach Autotech '91 Congress Birmingham November 1991
- Kahlstorf, U. Systems Analysis of Cooling Circuits using FLOWMASTER
- Blümcke, E Nefischer, P. Improved Engine Cooling Systems using Calculation Methods Proceedings of the VTMS 2 Conference London May 9-12 1995
- Da Silva, A Lebrun, M Samuel, S. Modelling and Simulation of a Cooling System Using Multiport Approach SAE Paper 2000-01-0292 SAE World Congress Detroit March 6-9 2000
- Lin, C Saunders, J Watkins, S. The Effect of Changes in Ambient and Coolant Radiator Inlet Temperatures and Coolant Flowrate on Specific Dissipation SAE Paper 2000-01-0579 SAE World Congress, Detroit March 6-9 2000