This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Cooling System Stability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 14, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Engine cooling systems contain multiple parallel flow paths, which under sub-cooled boiling conditions can experience excursive flow instability. This study presents an analytical model describing the pressure drop in a channel subjected to flow boiling. Using water as the working fluid, results are presented showing the effect of inlet velocity and surface heat flux on the overall pressure drop. The accuracy of this model for water has been verified. The calculations show that for typical engine operating conditions, the cooling passage can contain regions of partially developed and fully developed sub-cooled boiling.
|Technical Paper||Measurement of Exhaust Gas Velocity in an Internal Combustion Engine|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Pressure Relief for Cooling System|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Cooling System Metallic Caps and Filler Necks|
CitationMcAssey, E. and Fleischer, A., "Engine Cooling System Stability," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1741, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1741.
- Martinelli, R.C. Nelson, D.B. 1948 “Prediction of Pressure Drop During Forced Circulation Boiling of Water,” Transactions of the ASME 70 695
- Sabersky, R.H. Mulligan, H.E. 1955 “On the Relationship Between Fluid Friction and Heat Transfer in Nucleate Boiling,” Jet Propulsion 25 9
- Thom, J.R.S. 1964 “Prediction of Pressure Drop During Forced Circulation Boiling of Water,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 7 709 724 Great Britain
- Marshek, S. 1958 “Transient Flow of Boiling Water in Heated Tubes,” Savannah River Laboratory Report PP-301TL
- Dormer, J. Jr. Bergles, A.E. 1964 “Pressure Drop with Surface Boiling in Small Diameter Tubes,” Report 8767-31 Dept. of Mech. Eng. MIT
- Maulbetsch, J.S Griffith, P. 1966 “A Study of System Induced Instabilities in Forced Convective Flow with Subcooled Boiling,” Proceedings of the 3rd International Heat Transfer Conference 247 257
- Whittle, R.H. Forgan, R. 1967 “A Correlation of the Minima in the Pressure Drop versus Flowrate Curves for Subcooled Water Flowing in Narrow Heated Channels,” Nuclear Engineering and Design 6 89 99
- Levy, S. 1967 “Forced Convective Subcooled Boiling-Prediction of Vapor Volumetric Fraction,” Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 10 951 965 Great Britain
- Owens, W.L Schrock, V.E. 1960 “Local Pressure Gradients for Subcooled Boiling of Water in Vertical Tubes,” ASME Paper 60-WA-249
- Saha, P. Zuber, N. 1974 “Point of Net Vapor Generation and Vapor Void Fraction in Subcooled Boiling.” Proceedings of the 5th International Heat Transfer Conference Tokyo, Japan
- Block, J.A. Crowley, C.J. Dolan, F.X. Sam, R.G. Stoedefalke, B.H. 1990 “Nucleate Boiling Pressure Drop in an Annulus,” Creare, Inc. Hanover, N.H.
- Stelling, R. McAssey, E.V. Dougherty, T. Yang, B. 1996 “The Onset of Flow Instability for Downward Flow in Vertical Channels,” Journal of Heat Transfer 118 709 714
- Dougherty, T.J. Yang, B.W. 1995 “Flow Instability and Critical Heat Flux in a Natural Circulation Loop at Low Pressure,” Proceedings of the 1995 ASME National Heat Transfer Conference 316
- Fleischer, A.S. McAssey, E.V. Jones, G. 1998 “Prediction of Pressure Drop in a Boiling Channel,” Journal of Heat Transfer 121 210 213
- Kanefsky, P. Nelson, V. A. Ranger, M. 1999 “Systems Engineering Approach to Engine Cooling Design,” SAE 29 32
- Kennedy, J.E. Roach, G.M. Dowling, M.F. Abdel-Khalik, S.I. Ghiaasiaan, S.M. Jeter, S.M. Qureshi, Z.H. 2000 “The Onset of Flow Instability in Uniformly Heated Horizontal Microchannels,” Journal of Heat Transfer 122 118 125
- Fleischer, A.S. 1996 “Prediction of the Onset of Ledinegg Flow Instability in Uniformly Heated Constant Cross Section Channels,” Villanova University Villanova, Pa
- Davis, E.J Anderson, G.H. 1966 “The Incipience of Nucleate Boiling in Forced Convection Flow,” AIChE Journal 12 774 780