This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Simulation of Flow and Heat Transfer in Airways
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Results are presented from a CFD investigation into louvered, corrugated airway designs, commonly employed in high performance heat exchangers. CFD simulations are found to agree within 10% of measured test data, and to reliably predict trends and comparative merits between designs.
The advantages of CFD simulation are demonstrated through the provision of localized flow and heat transfer information, which would be difficult and expensive to obtain via conventional measurement. This localized data has been used to understand the complex mechanisms behind heat exchanger performance. The use of CFD is also demonstrated to offer tangible cost and cycle time benefits when used proactively within the design process.
CitationYuan, Y., Jackson, A., and Nelson, M., "CFD Simulation of Flow and Heat Transfer in Airways," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1712, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1712.
- Kays, W.M. London, A.L. Compact Heat Exchangers McGraw Hill 2nd 1964
- Kajino, M. Hiramatsu, M. Research and Development of Automotive Heat Exchangers Heat Transfer in High Technology and Power Engineering ed. Yang W.J. and Mori Y. 420 432 Hemisphere Publishing Corporation 1987
- Achaichia, A. Cowell, T.A. A Finite Difference Analysis of Fully Developed Periodic Laminar Flow in Inclined Louver Arrays Proceedings of 2nd UK National Heat Transfer Conference Glasgow 2 883 888 1988
- Hiromatsu, M. Ishinaru, T. Matsuzaki, R. Research on Fins for Air Conditioning Heat Exchangers JSME Int. Journal Series II 33 4 1990
- Ha, M.Y. Kim, K.C. Koak, S.H. Kim, K.H. Kim, K.I. Kang, J.K. Park, T.Y. Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer Characteristics in Multi-Louvered Fin Heat Exchanger SAE 950115 1995
- Beamer, H. E. Ghosh, D. Bellows, K.D Huang, L.J. Jcobi, A.M. Applied CFD and Experiment for Automotive Compact Heat Exchanger Development SAE 980426 1998
- Bouzida, S. Mignot, C. Optimization of Fin Louver Design Based on CFD SAE 970832 1997
- Karbach, T. Determination of Air Side Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer Characteristics in Heat Exchangers Using CFD SAE 971847 1997
- Takano, Y Hagiya, H CFD Applied Analysis System for Heat Exchanger 3D Fin Models Calsonic World 6 65 69 1999
- Gnielinski, V. New Equations for Heat and Mass Transfer in Turbulent Pipe and Channel Flow Int. Chem. Eng. 16 359 368 1976
- Fluent 5 User's Guide 1-4 Fluent Incorporated 1998
- Uramoto, M. et al. Development of New Cores for Performance Improvement of Radiators Calsonic World V 1997
- Shah, R.K. Webb, R.L. Compact and Enhanced Heat Exchangers Heat Exchangers: Theory and Practice Taborek J. Hewitt G.F. Afghan N. 425 468 Hemisphere/McGraw-Hill Washington, D.C. 1983
- Davenport, C.J. Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow in Louvered Triangular Ducts CNAA, Lancaster Polytechnic 1980
- Achaichia, A. Cowell, T.A. Heat Transfer and Pressure Drop Characteristics of Flat Tube and Louvered Plate Fin Surfaces Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 1 147 157 1988