This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Compact Cooling System (CCS™): The Key to Meet Future Demands in Heavy Truck Cooling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 14, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To meet future needs for heavy truck cooling, a novel high performance radial compact cooling system (CCS) was developed. Measurements with a prototype system were conducted in a component wind tunnel and with truck-installed systems in a climatic vehicular wind tunnel. The CSS is compared to conventional axial and side-by-side systems. In comparison with a conventional axial system, the performance per unit volume of the CCS is 42% higher, the noise level is about 6 dB lower and the power consumption of the radial fan is 70% of the axial fan leading to significant savings in fuel consumption.
|Technical Paper||Wind Tunnel Concepts for Testing Heavy Trucks|
|Journal Article||Optimization of Active Grille Shutters Operation for Improved Fuel Economy|
|Technical Paper||Evaluation of Cabin Comfort in Air Conditioned Buses Using CFD|
- Jörg Soldner - European Central Research of Modine Europe GmbH, Filderstadt, Germany
- Werner Zobel - European Central Research of Modine Europe GmbH, Filderstadt, Germany
- Michael Ehlers - European Central Research of Modine Europe GmbH, Filderstadt, Germany
- Jens Nies - European Central Research of Modine Europe GmbH, Filderstadt, Germany
- Jonathan Wattelet - Research and Development of Modine Manufacturing Co., Racine, WI, USA
CitationSoldner, J., Zobel, W., Ehlers, M., Nies, J. et al., "A Compact Cooling System (CCS™): The Key to Meet Future Demands in Heavy Truck Cooling," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1709, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1709.
- Zobel, W.; Ehlers, M.; Stephan, B.: High Performance Compact Cooling System for Trucks (SAE 971826), VTMS3 Indianapolis, 1997.
- Zobel, W.; Stephan, B.; Ehlers, M.: Radial fan and externally controlled viscous clutch for radial truck cooling system CCS (IMechE C543/035), VTMS4 London, 1999
- Eichlseder, W.; Marzy, R.; Hager, J.; Haidinger, M. Optimization of heat management of vehicles using simulation tools (ImechE C543/031), VTMS4 London, 1999
- Yudin, E.: Untersuchung des Lärms vom Lüfteranlagen und die Methode zu seine Bekämpfung. ZAGI-Bericht Nr. 713, Moskau 1958