This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Active Control of Automotive Air Induction Noise via Source Coupling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 30, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Engine noise emanating from the air intake of automotive induction systems can be effectively suppressed through active noise control. Source coupling is used as the active noise control strategy. A small woofer, co-axially mounted inside the fresh air duct, is located in the plane of the fresh air intake and acts as the secondary noise source. An error microphone is located near the air intake and a synchronous reference signal is provided by an engine tachometer signal. This active noise control system has been tested on several engines. The radiated engine noise from the induction system has been effectively eliminated over the control bandwidth. The power draw of the speaker is minimal and the flow restriction of the actively controlled inlet has been significantly reduced compared to the production air induction system.
|Technical Paper||Testing Embedded Engine Controllers Using Programmable Test Techniques|
|Technical Paper||A Random Vibration Control System for Testing a Single Test Item with Multiple Inputs|
|Technical Paper||Air Suspension Factors in Driveline Vibration|
CitationMcLean, I., "Active Control of Automotive Air Induction Noise via Source Coupling," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1613, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1613.
- Arnold, E. Fraser, W. Hoge, W.J.J. “Development of a Prototype Active Muffler for the Detroit Diesel 6V-92 TA Industrial Engine” SAE 911045 1991
- Boonen, R. Sas, P. “Development of an Active Exhaust Silencer for Internal Combustion Engines using Feedback Control” SAE 1999-01-1844 1999
- Elliot, S.J. Nelson, P.A. “Active Noise Control” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine October 1993 12 35
- Hall, H. Ferren, W. Bernhard, R. “External Active Control Of Duct Noise Radiation: An Experimental Parameter Study” NOISE-CON 90 October 1990 157 162
- Katsuyuki, T. Yoshitaka, N. Kohama, T. Ohara, K. “Technological Development for Active Control of Air Induction Noise” SAE 951301 1995 557 565
- Kido, K. Kanai, H. Abe, M. “Active Reduction of Noise by Additional Noise Source and its Limit” Journal of Vibration, Acoustics, Stress, and Reliability in Design” 111 October 1989 480 485
- Kim, H. Hong, J. Sohn, D. Oh, J. “Development of an active muffler for reducing exhaust noise and flow restriction in a heavy vehicle” Noise Control Eng. J. 47 2 1999
- Tartarin, J. Laumonier, J. Piteau, A. Hardouin, L. “An Electro-Mechanical Transducer for an Active Anti-Pulsatory System” Proc. Int. Symp. Active Control of Sound Vib. 1991 150 162
- Nishimura, M. “Some problems of active noise control for practical use” Proc. Int. Symp. Active Control of Sound Vib. 1991 415 420