This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Characterization of Foam Materials and Its Application to Modeling of Automotive Seat-Passenger System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 30, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Dynamic properties of flexible polyurethane foam materials for car seats are highly complicated. In this paper, characterizations of dynamic stiffness of several foam specimens based on static stiffness obtained from IFD(Indentation Force Deflection) curve measurements are presented. It is observed that dynamic stiffness and its drift with static loading duration in logarithmic scale are proportional to the static stiffness at a given static loading regardless of types and dimensions of the foam. A three degree-of-freedom model of seated human body based on apparent mass measurements together with the characteristics of foam materials were incorporated for transmissibility prediction of the passenger-seat system.
CitationChae, C., Song, S., Kim, K., Jang, H. et al., "Dynamic Characterization of Foam Materials and Its Application to Modeling of Automotive Seat-Passenger System," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1559, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1559.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems
Number: V110-6 ; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-6 ; Published: 2002-09-15
- Nishiyama S., “Development of Vehicle-Occupant Dynamic Interaction Simulation system,” ASIA-PACIFIC Conference, Session: Vehicle Dynamics & Control, pp. 825–830, 1983.
- White S. W., Kim S. K., Davies P., and Bajaj A. K., “Modeling and Measurement of Occupied Car Seats,” SAE paper 1999-01-1690.
- Smith S. D., “Limitations in Predicting Human Vibration Response Characteristics from Manikins and Rigid Body Masses,” SAE Paper 970598.
- Fairley T. E., and Griffin M. J., “The apparent mass of the seated human body: vertical vibration,” Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 22, pp. 81–94, 1989.
- Wei L., and Griffin M. J., “Mathematical Models for the Apparent Mass of the Seated Human Body Exposed to Vertical Vibration,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 212(5), pp. 855–874, 1998.
- Wei L., and Griffin M. J., “The Prediction of Seat Transmissibility from Measures of Seat Impedance,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 214(1), pp. 121–137, 1998.
- Campbell G. A., “Compressive creep of Flexible Polyurethane Foam,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 24, pp. 709–723, 1979.
- Moreland J. C., Wilkes G. L., and Turner Robert B., “Viscoelastic Behavior of Flexible Slabstock Polyurethane Foams as a Function of Temperature and Relative Humidity. II. Compressive Creep Behavior,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 52, pp. 569–576, 1994.
- Cavender K. D., “Real Time Foam Performance Testing,” Journal of Cellular Plastics, Vol. 29, pp. 350–363, 1993.
- Cavender K. D., and Kinkelaar M. R., “Real Time Dynamic Comfort and Performance Factors of Polyurethane Foam in Automotive Seating,” SAE Paper 960509.
- Casati F. M., Herrington R. M., Bros R., and Miyazaki Y., “Tailoring the Performance of Molded Flexible Polyurethane Foams for Car Seats,” Journal of Cellular Plastics, Vol. 34, pp. 430–465, 1998.
- Kinkelaar Mark R., Neal Brian L., and Crocco Guy, “The Influence of Polyurethane Foam Dynamics on the Vibration Isolation Character of Full Foam Seats,” SAE Paper 980657.
- ASTM D3574, Standard Test Methods for Flexible Cellular Materials – Slab, Bonded, and Molded Urethane Foams, 1995.
- Michalewicz Z., Genetic Algorithms + Data Structures = Evolution Programs, Springer-Verlag, 1996.
- Meinecke E. A. and Clark R. C., Mechanical Properties of Polymeric Foams, TECHNOMIC, 1973.
- Patten W. N., Sha S., and Mo C., “A Vibration Model of Open Celled Polyurethane Foam Automotive Seat Cushions,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 217(1), pp. 145–161, 1998.
- Rehkopf J. D., McNeice G. M., and Brodland G. W., “Fluid and Matrix Components of Behavior under Cyclic Compression,” Transactions of the ASME: Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, Vol (118), pp. 58–62, 1996.
- Shen W., and Vértiz A. M., “Redefining Seat Comfort,” SAE paper 970597.
- Chae C. K., Kim K. J., Jang H. K., and Cho Y. H., “A Experimental study on Dynamic Characterization of Polyurethane Foams Employed in Automotive Seating Application,” KSAE paper 2000-03-3033.
- Song S., Chae C. K., Kim K. J., Jang H. K., Kim S. H., “A Study on Dynamic Response Characteristics of Seating Human Body Exposed to Vertical Vibration,” Proceedings of the KSME 2000 Fall Annual Meeting A, pp. 522–528.