This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Construction of a World-Class Vehicle Acoustical Laboratory Facility
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 30, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The GM Noise and Vibration Analysis Laboratory (NVAL) was conceived in response to GM's need for a state-of-the-art noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) testing and development facility. This paper examines the construction of the NVAL to help illustrate the process of converting NVH facility design documents into a functioning facility. It features a summary of items learned through the course of the construction effort and outlines issues a technical building owner should consider when embarking on a new facility project.
NVH facility construction is unique. The traditional construction approach, emphasizing time and cost reduction, must be buffered with an equal or greater emphasis on performance and the proper sequencing of tasks to allow these integrated facilities to meet their operational objectives. Precise implementation of design intent, proper scheduling with a focus on NVH issues, team coordination and critical issue recognition/resolution are essential for effective management of an NVH facility construction project.
This paper discusses the measures a building owner can take to confirm that NVH performance remains the focal point of the project through the complex construction process. Particular topics addressed include the importance of design team on-site services, construction task sequencing, the general contractor vs. construction manager approach, team member roles and responsibilities, and conflict resolution strategies. Case studies, outlining problems that can occur when NVH performance is not considered during construction will also be presented.
It is the hope of the authors that, upon reading this paper, the reader will have a better understanding of the overall NVH facility construction process.
CitationCooper, M., Volk, C., and Kolano, R., "Construction of a World-Class Vehicle Acoustical Laboratory Facility," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1487, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1487.
- Kolano, R. Cooper, M. Johnson, A. “Design of a World-Class Vehicle Acoustical Laboratory Facility” SAE paper presented at the 2001 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference Traverse City, Michigan May 2001
- Shacter, M. “Shake, Rattle and Roll” Consulting Specifying Engineer 26 30 December 1999
- Cooper, M. Volk, C. Johnson, A. “A New Wave in NVH” Sound and Vibration 18 25 April 2000
- Ditzel, P. General Motors Corporation 1999
- Johnson, A. HarleyEllis 2001
- Kolano, R. Traub, K. “Pitfalls in the Design and Construction of Vehicle Acoustical Laboratories” SAE Paper 1999-01-1833 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference Traverse City, Michigan May 1999