This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sound Transmission Through Elastomeric Sealing Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 30, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The sound barrier performance of elastomeric vehicle weather seals was investigated. Experiments were performed for one bulb seal specimen following a reverberation room method. The seal wall vibration was measured using a laser Doppler vibrometer. The acoustic pressure near the seal surface was measured simultaneously, allowing the sound intensities on both side of the seal, and the sound transmission loss to be evaluated. The vibration response of the bulb seal and its sound transmission loss were then computed using the finite element method. Model predictions for the same seal geometry were found to be in excellent agreement with the experimental data within the frequency range of interest, comprised between 500 Hz and 4000 Hz.
CitationPark, J., Siegmund, T., and Mongeau, L., "Sound Transmission Through Elastomeric Sealing Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1411, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1411.
- GEORGE A. R. CALLISTER J. R. 1991 SAE General Aviation Meeting, Wichita, Kansas, April 9-11, Paper No. 911027 Aerodynamic noise of ground vehicles
- GUR Y. MORMAN K. N. 1999 Proceedings of the 1999 SAE Noise & Vibration Conference, Traverse City, Michigan, Paper No. 1999-01-1804 1187 1196 Sound transmission analysis of vehicle door sealing system
- STRUMOLO G. S. 1997 Proceedings of the 1997 SAE Noise & Vibration Conference, Traverse City, Michigan, Paper No. 971921 417 424 The wind noise modeler
- MONGEAU L. DANFORTH R. 1997 SAE Transactions, Journal of Passenger Cars 106 2668 2674 Sound transmission through primary bulb rubber sealing systems
- MONGEAU L. DANFORTH R. WOOD S. C. KESSEN C.J. 1996 SAE Paper No. 960193 published in “ Advances in Component Designs for Noise and Vibration Control”, SP-1147 51 60 Laboratory method for evaluating the sound transmission characteristics of primary bulb body seals
- PARK J. MONGEAU L. G. SIEGMUND T. 2000 Proceedings of Acoustics Week in Canada 2000, Sherbrooke, Canada 28 102 103 Sound transmission characteristic of elastomeric sealing systems
- PARK J. MONGEAU L. G. SIEGMUND T. 2000 Proc. NOISE-CON 2000, Paper No: 2pNSc3, Newport Beach, California, Institute of Noise Control Engineering Sound transmission loss of bulb seals
- FAHY F. J. 1995 Sound Intensity E & FN Spon London
- Polytec GmbH 1999 Vibrometer operator's manual for Polytec Vibrometer Series 3000 Waldbronn, Germany Polytec GmbH
- FAHY F. J. 1985 Sound and Structural Vibration London Academic Press
- BIES D.A. HANSEN C.H. 1996 Engineering Noise Control London E&FN Spon
- HIBBIT, KARLSSON & SORENSEN, Inc. 1998 ABAQUS/Standard User's Manual Pawtucket, RI Hibbit Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc.