This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
LDA Investigation on Valve - Wall and Valve - Valve Flow Interaction in High-Performance 4-Valve I.C.E.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
The fluid dynamic efficiency of two different four-valve high-performance engine heads has been compared both in terms of global mass flow rate and in terms of local velocity distribution around the valve curtain, by means of LDA measurements. The two engine heads have the same bore and valve diameters, but a slightly different valve position and valve stem inclination. Results clearly show that valve-wall distance is a critical factor for head permeability and that even marginal variations in valve position and inclination lead to appreciable differences in flow pattern and total flow rate.
CitationBova, S. and Amelio, M., "LDA Investigation on Valve - Wall and Valve - Valve Flow Interaction in High-Performance 4-Valve I.C.E.," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1309, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1309.
- Pignone, G.A Vercelli, U. Motori ad Alta Potenza Specifica Nada G. Milan 88-7911-135-3 1995
- Heywood, J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals Mc Graw Hill International Edition 1988
- Bicen, Vafidis C. Witelaw J.H. “Steady and unsteady airflow through the intake valve of a reciprocating engine,” J.Fluids Enginnering 107 1985
- El-Tarry, S.H. Khalighi, B. Kuziar, W.R. “Unsteady-flow velocity measurements around an intake valve of a reciprocating engine,” SAE Paper n. 870593 SAE trans. sect. 4 1987
- Amelio M. Bova S. Bartolo C.De “The Separation between Turbulence and Mean Flow in ICE LDV data: the complementary point-of-view of different investigation tools” ASME J. of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 122 4 505 698 2000
- Barbieri G. Zagami S. national ATI congress 2000
- Tindal, M.J. Cheung, R.S. “Velocity Characteristics of Steady Flows though Engine Inlet Ports and Cylinders” SAE paper N. 880383 1988
- Weclas, M. Melling, a: Durt F. “Usteady Intake Valve Gap Flows,” SAE paper N. 952477 1995