This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study of Heat Transfer from the Heated Rib-Roughed Wall to a Steady or Pulsating Flow
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
The heat exchanger performance is mostly limited by the poor gas side heat transfer. This motivates attempts to increase the effectiveness of gas side heat transfer processes in numerous types of heat exchangers in automotive industry mostly used for cooling. The efficiency of compact heat exchangers can be improved by means of boundary layer modification. The objective of this reported work is to study the mechanism of convective heat transfer from the heated wall of a duct to a flow of air. The surface of the heated wall is flat or rib-roughened. Rib-roughened surfaces are used to induce turbulence and to enhance the heat transfer. Interferometer, schlieren and PIV methods assisted by high-speed video camera are used to study the mechanism of heat transfer from the heated wall to the flow. These methods are accompanied by measurements of the flow velocity, instant temperature, turbulence and frequency analysis of turbulence parameters. The range of Reynolds numbers studied was from 1000 to 12000. Finally the influence of a steady, oscillatory and pulsating flow on the heat transfer is investigated and compared. The low frequency oscillations from 0.083 to 0.25 Hz are applied in experiments to be comparable with frequencies used in literature. Frequencies of the pulsating flow are used in the range from 0.2 to 5 Hz. The results are presented in a form of a time-averaged Nusselt number as a function of a Reynolds number calculated on the basis of the oscillatory and pulsating flow parameters. It is found that turbulence promoters on the heated wall enhance heat transfer, while low frequency pulsation of the mean flow deteriorates it. Both effects are explained by the processes in the boundary layer sticking to the heated wall of the investigated channel.
CitationJarosinski, W., "Experimental Study of Heat Transfer from the Heated Rib-Roughed Wall to a Steady or Pulsating Flow," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1249, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1249.
- Williams F. and Watts I., The Development of Rough Surfaces with Improved Heat Transfer Performance and a Study of the Mechanism Involved, Proceedings of the 4th International Heat Transfer Conference, Paris, paper FC 5.5, pp.1-11, 1970.
- Goldstein J. L. and Sparrow E. M., Heat and Mass Transfer Characteristics for Flow in a Corrugated Wall Channel, J. Heat Transfer, 99: 187-195, 1977.
- Sparrow E. M. and Prata A. T., Numerical Solutions for Laminar Flows and Heat Transfer in a Periodically Converging-Diverging Tube, with Experimental Confirmation, Numer. Heat Transfer, 6: 441-461, 1983.
- Tauscher R. and Mayinger F., Heat Transfer Enhancement in a Plate Heat Exchanger with Rib-Roughened Surfaces, Heat Transfer Enhancement of Heat Exchangers, NATO ASI Series, Serie E: Applied Sciences - Vol. 355, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht/Boston/London 1999, pp. 207-221.
- Djenidi L., Elavarasan R. and Antonia R. A., The turbulent Boundary Layer over Transverse Square Cavities, J. Fluid Mech., 395: 271-294,1999.
- Patera A. T. and Mikić B. B., Exploiting Hydrodynamic Instabilities. Resonant Heat Transfer Enhancement, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 29: 1127-1138, 1986.
- Amon C. H. and Mikic B. B., Numerical Prediction of Convective Heat Transfer in Self-Sustained Oscillatory Flows, J. Thermophysics, 4: 239-246, 1990.
- Wang G. and Vanka S. P., Convective Heat Transfer in Periodic Wavy Passages, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 38: 3219-3230, 1995.
- Iyer R. S. Kakac S. and Fung K. Y., Instability and heat Transfer in Grooved Channel Flow, Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, 11: 437-445, 1997.
- Han J. C., Glicksman L. R. and Rohsenow W. M., An Investigation of Heat Transfer and Friction for rib-Roughened Surfaces, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 21: 1143-1156, 1978.
- Han J. C. and Park J. S., Developing Heat Transfer in Rectangular Channels with Rib Turbulators, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 31: 183-195,1988.
- Chandra P. R., Fontenot M. L. and Han J. C., Effect of Rib Profiles on Turbulent Channel Flow Heat Transfer, J. Thermophysics, 12: 116-118, 1997.
- Olsson C. O. and Sunden B. Experimental Study of Flow and Heat Transfer in Rib-Roughened Rectangular Channel, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 16: 349-365, 1998.
- Sunden B., Heat Transfer and Flow in Rib-Roughened Rectangular Ducts, Heat Transfer Enhancement of Heat Exchangers, NATO ASI Series, Serie E: Applied Sciences - Vol. 355, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht/Boston/London 1999, pp. 123-139.
- Sunden B., Flow and Heat Transfer Mechanisms in Plate and Frame Exchangers, Heat Transfer Enhancement of Heat Exchangers, NATO ASI Series, Serie E: Applied Sciences - Vol. 355, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht/Boston/London 1999, pp. 185-206.
- Karwa R. Solanki S. C. and Saini J. S., Heat Transfer Coefficient and Friction Factor Correlation for the Transitional Flow Regime in Rib-Roughened Rectangular Ducts, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 42: 1597-1615, 1999.
- Fodemski T. R., The Simulation of Flow and Heat Transfer in Channels with Ribbed Surface, Transport Phenomena in Turbulent Flows, Theory, Experiment, and Numerical Simulation, The University of Tokyo, Editors Hirata M. and Kasai N., pp. 605-618, 1987.
- Fodemski T. R. and Collins M. A., Flow and Heat Transfer Simulations for 2- and 3-Dimensional Smooth and Ribbed Channels, Proceedings of the Second UK National Heat Transfer Conference, Glasgow, 14-16 September, 1988.
- Fodemski T. R., The Performance Analysis of a Ribbed Channel Based on Computer Simulation of Flow and Heat Transfer, June 15-17, 1989, Firenze, Italy.
- Valujeva E.P. Popov B.N., Romanova S.J., “Teplootdacha pri turbulentnom pulsiruyushchem techenii v krugloj trube”, Teplonergetika, 3: 24-35, 1994.
- Genin L.G., Koval A.P., Manczha S.P., Sviridov V.G., “Gidrodinamika i teploobmen pri pulsiruyushchem techenii zhidkosti v trubakh”, Teploenergetika, 5: 30-34, 1992.
- Park J.S., Taylor M.F. and Eligot D.M., “Heat transfer to pulsating turbulent gas flow”, Proc. 7th Int. Heat Transfer Conf., 3: 105-110, 1982.