This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Integrated Cooling Systems for Passenger Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
Electric coolant pumps for IC engines are under development by a number of suppliers. They offer packaging and flexibility benefits to vehicle manufacturers. Their full potential will not be realised, however, unless an integrated approach is taken to the entire cooling system.
The paper describes such a system comprising an advanced electric pump with the necessary flow controls and a supervisory strategy running on an automotive microprocessor. The hardware and control strategy are described together with the simulation developed to allow its calibration and validation before fitting in a B/C class European passenger car. Simulation results are presented which show the system to be controllable and responsive to deliver optimum fuel consumption, emissions and driver comfort.
CitationBrace, C., Burnham-Slipper, H., Wijetunge, R., Vaughan, N. et al., "Integrated Cooling Systems for Passenger Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1248, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1248.
- Robinson K Campbell NAF Hawley JG Tilley DG “Review of Precision Engine Cooling” SAE paper 1999-01-0578 1999
- Einaudi G Mortara W “Engine Cooling Electronic control system” SAE 885085 1988
- Ap NS Golm NC “New concept of engine cooling system (NewCool)” SAE 971775
- Ap NS Maire A Porot P Menegazzi P Souidi F Devehat CL Godeau D Olivier P Vinot JB Vincens G “New components development for new engine cooling system” 24-26 May 1999 Cooling Systems 1999
- Sidders JA Tilley DG “Optimising cooling system performance using computer simulation” Indianapolis, USA 19-22 May 1997 219 230 1997
- Tomlinson SP Hogan PA Burrows CR “Computer simulation of vehicle cooling systems ASME Int ME '94 Congress & Exposition, Paper No. Control GT94-117 Session FPST-2 Chicago, USA 6-11 November 1994