This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Internal Mixture Formation and Combustion - fro m Gasoline to Ethanol
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
The fuel direct injection in SI engines is demonstrating a remarkable potential regarding the reduction of consumption and pollutant emission. Nevertheless, the management of the mixture formation “in-cylinder” - in conditions of a short duration and of a complex fluid dynamic configuration imposes both an accurate modeling and an exact control of the process.
The problem gains on complexity when considering the use of alternative fuels which becomes more and more a subject of actuality.
The paper presents a comparative analysis of mixture formation process and engine performances, when applying direct injection of gasoline, respectively of ethanol in a four-stroke single cylinder SI engine. The modulation of the injection rate shape is the result of a fuel high pressure wave, generated in a pressure pulse direct injection system.
The internal mixture formation is modeled in base on the CFD code FLUENT, allowing the analysis of the space-and time-related process sequences for both fuels, using different parameter combinations for injection system and engine.
The comparison of both fuels at the test bench of the injection system is made for different injection volumes, injection frequencies and injector opening pressures. A spray visualization for the most representative configurations is presented as well.
Finally, the engine results at the test bench confirm the good adaptability of the applied direct injection concept for both gasoline and ethanol application.
CitationStan, C., Troeger, R., Guenther, S., Stanciu, A. et al., "Internal Mixture Formation and Combustion - fro m Gasoline to Ethanol," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1207, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1207.
- Stan, C.: Direct Injection Systems for Spark Ignition and Compression - Ignition Engines, SAE 2000, ISBN 0-7680-0610-4, SAE Order Nr.: R-280
- Stan, C.; Troeger, R.; Grimaldi, C.; Postrioti, L.: Direct Injection of Variable Gasoline/Methanol Mixtures: Injection and Spray Characteristics, SAE Paper 2001-01-0966
- Kampmann, S.; Moser, W.: “Gasoline Direct Injection - a Challenge for Advanced Engine Control Systems, MTZ 58 (1997)
- Stan, C.; Personnaz; J.: Car Hybrid Propulsion Strategy Using an Ultra Light GDI Two-Stroke Engine, SAE Paper 1999-01-2940
- Stan, C.; Lefebvre, J.L.: Development of a Direct Injection Concept for Two Wheelers Equipped with Two Stroke Engines, SAE Paper 1999-01-1248
- Stan, C.; Lebrun, M.: Concept of interactive development of a GDI system with high-pressure modulation; SAE Paper 2000-01-1042
- Stan, C.; Guenther, S.; Martorano, L.; Tarantino, L.: Aspects of Mixture Formation and Combustion in GDI Engines, SAE Paper 2000-01-0648
- Stan, C.; Tröger, R.; Grimaldi, C. N.; Postrioti, L.: Analysis Method for the Spray Characteristics of a GDI System with High Pressure Modulation, SAE Paper 2000-01-1043
- Stan, C.: Experimental Analysis of the Fuel Spray Characteristics for DI High Speed Engines Using a Ram Tuned Injection System, SAE Paper 972742
- Franco, A.; Martorano, L.; Stan, C.; Eichert, H.: Development of Two Stroke Engines with Direct Injection, SAE Paper 951776
- Franco, A.; Martorano, L.; Stan, C.; Eichert, H.: Numerical Analysis of the Performances of a Small Two Stroke Engine with Direct Injection, SAE Paper 960362
- Stan, C.; Eichert, H.; Martorano, L; Franco, A.: Fluid Dynamic Modeling of Gasoline Direct Injection for Compact Combustion Chambers, SAE Paper 980755
- Stan, C.; Eichert, H; Tröger, R.; Martorano, L.; Bacciotini, C; Franco, A.: Concept for Modeling and optimization of the Mixture Formation using Gasoline Direct Injection in Compact High Speed Engines, SAE Paper 1999-01-2935