This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Simulation of the Scavenging Process in a Two Stroke Turbocharged Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
In the present paper the application of a scavenging model in a two stroke Diesel engine with four radial cylinders and symmetric scavenging forced by a turbocharger is described. Besides the engine model, the turbocharger and pulse converter, where the exhaust pipes end, were simulated as described in the text. The empirical coefficients have been fixed by means of the comparative study of the results obtained with a three-dimensional model. The simulation model has been used in two cases, for the validation of itself, comparing the results obtained with the measurements in a test rig, and for the prediction of the performances of the four radial cylinders of the Diesel engine described in a previously published paper.
CitationArias, J., Varela, E., Pérez, R., Navarro, E. et al., "Numerical Simulation of the Scavenging Process in a Two Stroke Turbocharged Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1094, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1094.
- Arias, J.R. Varela, E. Moreno, E. “Using 1-D and 3-D Models for the Simulation of Gas Exchange Processes” SAE Paper 2000-01-0658 2000
- Onorati, A. Ferrari, G. “Modelling of 1-D Unsteady Flows in I.C. Engine Pipe Systems: Numerical Method and Transport of Chemical Species” SAE Paper 980782 1998
- Kirkpatrick, S.J. Blair, G.P. Fleck, R. McMullan, R.K. “Experimental Evaluation of 1-D Computer Codes for the Simulation of Unsteady Gas Flow Through Engines - A First Phase” SAE Paper 941685 1994
- Hirsch, C. “Numerical Computation of Internal and External Flows” 2 John Wiley & Sons West Sussex 1990
- Merker, G.P. Gerstle, M. “Evaluation on Two Stroke Engines Scavenging Models” SAE Paper 970358 1997
- Navarro, E. et al “Optimization of Exhaust Manifold for a Multicylinder Turbocharged Two-Stroke Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2000-01-0584 2000
- Navarro, E. Valenciano, M. Arias, J.R. Varela, E. “Desarrollo de la Instalación Experimental para Ensayo de un Motor Policombustible de Aviación” Anales de Ingeniería Mecánica Revista de la Asociación Española de Ingeniería Mecánica 2 335 1997
- Zhu, Y.X. Savonen, C. Johnson, N.L. Amsden, A.A. “Three-Dimensional Computations of the Scavenging Process in an Opposed-Piston Engine” SAE Paper 941899 1994
- Ferguson, C.R. “Internal Combustion Engines” John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1986
- Heywood, J.B. “Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill 1988
- Benson, R.S. Horlock, J.H. Winterbone, D.E. “The Thermodynamics and Gas Dynamics of Internal-Combustion Engines” I Clarendon Press Oxford 1982
- Benson, R.S. Horlock, J.H. Winterbone, D.E. “The Thermodynamics and Gas Dynamics of Internal-Combustion Engines” II Clarendon Press Oxford 1986
- Watson, N. Janota, M.S. “Turbocharging the Internal Combustion Engine” The MacMillan Press Ltd 1982