This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Transient Elastohydrodynamic (EHD) Bearing Model Linkable to ADAMS®
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
The new elastohydrodynamic (EHD) code developed by FEV Motorentechnik GmbH, Aachen, is designed to improve the predictability of journal bearing designs and thereby increase the reliability of safety factors in the development of highly loaded internal combustion engines. Using this tool design targets can be achieved with higher confidence levels.
The developed code may be linked to commercial multibody system (MBS) codes such as ADAMS® while simultaneously representing the important characteristics occurring in transiently loaded journal bearings including elastic deformation, cavitation, and non-constant speed. Static deviations from ideal journal and bearing shell shapes caused by manufacturing and assembly processes can be considered and are substantially important in the evaluation of journal bearings.
Presented is an economic bearing model approach which includes elastic bearing deformations. Only a few hours of calculation time are needed to reach steady state conditions on a standard workstation.
|Technical Paper||Extending Co-Simulation to the Real-Time Domain|
|Technical Paper||Current Challenges and Frontiers for the EHD Simulation of Journal Bearings: a Review|
|Technical Paper||Study of Connecting Rod for High BMEP Engines|
CitationThomas, S. and Maassen, F., "A New Transient Elastohydrodynamic (EHD) Bearing Model Linkable to ADAMS®," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1075, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1075.
- N. N. Using ADAMS ® /Solver Subroutines (Version 9.1) Mechanical Dynamics Inc. 1998
- N. N. Using ADAMS ® /Flex (Version 9.1) Mechanical Dynamics Inc. 1998
- Butenschön, H.-J. Das hydrodynamische, zylindrische Gleitlager endlicher Breite unter instationärer Belastung TU Karlsruhe 1976
- Knoll, G. Tragfähigkeit zylindrischer Gleitlager unter elastohydrodynamischen Bedingungen RWTH Aachen 1974
- Knoll, G. Backhaus, K. Lang, J. Wilhelm, Klaus Berechnung von Motoren-Gleitlagern unter Berücksichtigung der Deformation MTZ 59 1998 10
- Haller, R. Moßmann, Theo Das Pleuelhauptlager unter elastohydrodynamischen Betriebsbedingungen MTZ 57 1996 3
- O'Donoghue, J. Brighton, D. K. Hooke, C. J. K. The effect of Elastic Distortions on Journal Bearing Performance Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Lubrication Tribology
- Holland, J. Berkowitz, B. Schwarze, H. 02 1991
- Kumar, A. Booker, J. F. A Finite Element Cavitation Algorithm Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Tribology 113 04 1991
- Kumar, A. Booker, J. F. A Finite Element Cavitation Algorithm: Application/Validation Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Tribology 113 04 1991
- Paranjpe, R. S. Han, T. A Transient Thermohydrodynamic Analysis Including Mass Conserving Cavitation for Dynamically Loaded Journal Bearings Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Tribology 117 07 1995