This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Quantifying Relationships Between the Crankshaft's Speed Variation and the Gas Pressure Torque
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
The non-uniform character of the torque produced by a reciprocating I.C. engine is reflected in the cyclic variation of the crankshaft's speed. Because the crankshaft is an elastic structure, its response to the different harmonic components of the torque is different and changes with engine speed. The lowest harmonic components of the engine torque do not excite torsional vibrations and correlate fairly well with the corresponding harmonic orders of the crankshaft's speed. Based on a random vector model of the harmonic components of the gas-pressure torque, a statistical correlation is obtained between amplitudes and phases of the same harmonic component of the gas-pressure torque and of the crankshaft's speed. The lowest major harmonic order determines the average IMEP of the engine and the half-order detects if a cylinder is a lesser contributor to the total engine output and identifies the deficient cylinder. Experimental investigation of a six cylinder automotive diesel engine validates the numerical correlations.
CitationTaraza, D., "Quantifying Relationships Between the Crankshaft's Speed Variation and the Gas Pressure Torque," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1007, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1007.
- Taraza D. Henein N.A. Bryzik W. Determination of the Gas-Pressure torque of a Multicylinder Engine from Measurements of the Crankshaft's Speed Variation SAE Paper 980164 1998 SAE Transactions 107 Journal of Engines 294 302
- Taraza D. Henein N.A. Bryzik W. Diesel Engine Diagnosis Based on Anlysis of the Crankshaft's Speed Variation SAE Paper 982540 1998 SAE Transactions 107 Journal of Engines 2183 2195
- Taraza D. The Frequency Spectrum of the Crankshaft's Speed Variation, an Image of the Operation of Individual Cylinders Paper No. 99-ICE-224 32-2 1999Fall Technical Conference ASME 1999 37 46
- Maass H. Kraefte Klier H. Momente und deren Ausgleich in der Verbrennungskraftmaschine (Forces, Moments and their Balance in I.C. Engines) Springer Wien, New-York 1981
- Taraza D. Dinamica Motoarelor cu Ardere Interna (Dynamics of Internal Combustion Engines) Bucharest 1985
- Ventsel H. Theorie des Probabiltes (Theory of Probabilities) MIR Moscow 1973
- Taraza D. Statistical Correlation between the Crankshaft's Speed Variation and the Contribution of Individual Cylinders to the Total Engine Output paper No. 2000-ICE-345 35 2000 ICE Fall Technical Conference ASME 2000 81 93