This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Control Using Torque Estimation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
In recent years, the increasing interest and requirements for improved engine diagnostics and control has led to the implementation of several different sensing and signal processing technologies. In order to optimize the performance and emission of an engine, detailed and specified knowledge of the combustion process inside the engine cylinder is required. In that sense, the torque generated by each combustion event in an IC engine is one of the most important variables related to the combustion process and engine performance.
This paper introduces torque estimation techniques in the real-time basis for engine control applications using the measurement of crankshaft speed variation. The torque estimation scheme presented in this paper consists of two entirely different approaches, “Stochastic Analysis” and “Frequency Analysis”. The background as well as technical implementations of these approaches is presented in this paper, along with extensive results obtained from a four-cylinder S.I. engine while varying the engine speed and load. Both approaches are analyzed and compared in the sense of estimation accuracy and computational requirements, and feasibility for the real-time engine control application. Results show that both methods allow to estimate the indicated torque based on the crankshaft speed measurement while providing not only accurate but also relatively fast estimations during the computation processes.
- Byungho Lee - Center for Automotive Research and Intelligent Transportation, The Ohio State University
- Giorgio Rizzoni - Center for Automotive Research and Intelligent Transportation, The Ohio State University
- Yann Guezennec - Center for Automotive Research and Intelligent Transportation, The Ohio State University
- Ahmed Soliman - Center for Automotive Research and Intelligent Transportation, The Ohio State University
- Mauro Cavalletti - University of Perugia, Italy
- James Waters - Delphi Automotive Systems
CitationLee, B., Rizzoni, G., Guezennec, Y., Soliman, A. et al., "Engine Control Using Torque Estimation," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0995, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0995.
Electronic Engine Controls: Modeling, Controls, Obd and Neural Networks
Number: SP-1585; Published: 2001-03-05
Number: SP-1585; Published: 2001-03-05
- Guezennec Y. Gyan P. “A Novel Approach to Real-Time Estimation of the Individual Cylinder Combustion Pressure for S.I. Engine Control,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0209
- Lee D. Rizzoni G. “Detection of Partial Misfire in IC Engines Using a Measurement of Crankshaft
- Rizzoni G. “Estimate of Indicated Torque from Crankshaft Speed Fluctuations: A Model for the Dynamics of IC Engine,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology VT-38 3 168 179
- Rizzoni G. “A Dynamic Model for the Internal Combustion Engine,” University of Michigan Ann Arbor, MI 1986
- Srinivasan K. Rizzoni G. Trigui V. Luh G.C. “On-line Estimation of Net Engine Torque from Crankshaft Angular Velocity Measurement Using Repetitive Estimations,” Proceedings of the American Control Conference 516 520 1992
- Drakunov S. Rizzoni G. Wang Y.Y. “Estimation of Engine Torque Using Nonlinear Observers in the Crank Angle Domain,” Proc. 5 th ASME Symposium on Advanced Automotive Technologies ASME IMECE San Francisco, CA Nov. 1995
- Kao M. Moskwa J. “Nonlinear Turbo-Charged Diesel Engine Control and State Observation,” ASME Winter Annual Meeting New Orleans, LA 187 198 1993
- Rizzoni G. Kim Y.W. Wang Y.Y. “Design of An IC Engine Torque Estimator Using Unknown Input Observer,” ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 121 487 495 1999
- Mueller P.C. Hou M. “Design of Observers for Linear Systems for Unknown Inputs,” IEEE transactions on Automatic Control AC-37 6 871 874 1992
- Symos V.L. “Computational Observer Design Techniques for Linear System with Unknown Inputs Using the Concept of Transmission Zeros,” IEEE transactions on Automatic Control AC-38 790 794 1993
- Gyan P. Ginoux S. Champoussin J.C. Guezennec Y. “Crankangle Based Torque Estimation: Mechanistic/Stochastic,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0559
- Heywood J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill New York 1988