This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling of Internal Flow in High Pressure Swirl Injectors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
First, this paper presents four models (three zero and a one dimensional model) for predicting injector performances. The theoretical approaches of these four models are presented in details. A critical review of these models has been made possible by using a huge experimental database where more than 3000 injectors have been experimentally tested. In particular, authors show that the one dimensional model allows a very accurate prediction of both static flow rate and cone angle and takes into account more internal dimensions than the zero dimensional models. In a second part of the paper, a coupling between the one dimensional model with a model that predicts the linear stability of conical sheets is proposed. This coupling allows the determination of a theoretical drop diameter that is representative of the large droplets of the spray. An illustration of this coupling is proposed by comparing theoretical drop diameter with the experimental Sauter mean diameter for one injector tested in a large range of injection pressure (5-100 bar).
CitationCousin, J. and Nuglisch, H., "Modeling of Internal Flow in High Pressure Swirl Injectors," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0963, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0963.
- Lefebvre. A.H. “Atomization and Sprays” Hemisphere Publishing Corporation 1989
- Novikov I.I. Journ. Tech. Phys. 18 3 345 1948
- Doumas M. Laster R. “Liquid-Film Properties for Centrifugal Spray Nozzles” Chem. Eng. Prog. 518 526 1953
- Yule A.J. Chinn J.J. “Swirl Atomizer Flow: Classical Theory Revisited” Rouen 1994
- Ren W.M. Shen J. Nally S. “Geometrical Effects on Flow Characteristics of Gasoline High Pressure Direct Injector” SAE Technical paper, No 971641 1997
- Cousin J. Ren W.M. Nally S. “Transient Flows in High Pressure Swirl Injectors” SAE Technical paper, No 980499 1998
- Simmons H. The Prediction of Sauter Mean Diameter for Gas Turbine Fuel Nozzles of Different Types Transactions of ASME, Journal of Engineering for Power 102 3 646 652 1950
- Arcoumanis C. Gavaises M. Argueyrolles B. Galzin F. “Modeling of Pressure Swirl Atomizers for GDI Engines” SAE Technical paper No 1999-01-0500 1999
- Arcoumanis C. Gavaises M. “Pressure Swirl Atomizers for DISI Engines: Further Modeling and Experiments” SAE Technical paper No 2000-01-1044 2000
- Muschelknautz E. Krambrock W. Chem. Ing. Tech. 42 5 241 255 1970
- Dumouchel C. Ledoux M. “Atomization of Flat and Annular Sheets. Practical Use of Linear Theory” Gaithersburg, USA 1991
- Cousin J. Dumouchel C. “Effect of Viscosity on the Linear Instability of a Flat Liquid Sheet” Atomization and Sprays 6 5 1996
- Dombrowski N. Hooper P.C. “The Effect of Ambient Density on Drop Formation in Sprays” Chem. Eng Scie 13 291 305 1962
- Dombrowski N. Hasson D. AICHE Journ. 15 4 604 1969
- Cousin J. Nuglisch H.J. “Prediction of Characteristics of Sprays Produced by High Pressure Swirl Injectors Toulouse 1999