This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Quantification of Fuel Concentrations and Estimation of Liquid/Vapor Ratios in Direct Injection Gasoline Sprays by Laser-Induced Fluorescence
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
Gasoline direct-injection sprays are studied in a pressurized vessel with the help of optical diagnostic techniques. Exciplex laser-induced fluorescence images show that the liquid phase is located on the edges of the spray induced recirculation zone, while the vapor is contained within this zone. These trends are particularly pronounced with a low ambient pressure (0.12 MPa), and a short injection duration. A new method is proposed to calculate the global evaporated fuel fraction of the spray. In typical iso-octane sprays, the evaporated fuel is less than 50 % at 6 ms after start of injection, for an ambient temperature of 75°C.
A low boiling point fuel - n-pentane - is used to model the behavior at high temperatures, which enhances evaporation. Quantified fuel/air ratio images are obtained using laser-induced fluorescence of acetone. The accuracy is poor if high liquid concentrations exist. The fuel/air ratio often exceeds 5 in large zones. Fuel spreading depends strongly on mixing, via air entrainment. The most influencial parameters are ambient pressure and injection duration, and not ambient temperature under our conditions.
CitationLe Coz, J. and Hermant, L., "Quantification of Fuel Concentrations and Estimation of Liquid/Vapor Ratios in Direct Injection Gasoline Sprays by Laser-Induced Fluorescence," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0916, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0916.
- Kume, T. Iwamoto, Y. Iida, K. Murakami, M. Akishino, K. Ando, H. “Combustion control technologies for direct injection SI engine” SAE Paper 960600 1996
- Iwamoto Y. et al. “Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engines” SAE Paper 970541 1997
- Fraidl G.K. Piock W.F. Wirth M. “Gasoline direct injection: actual trends and future strategies for injection and combustion systems” SAE Paper 960465 1996
- Zhao, F-Q Lai, Ming-Chai Harrington, D. L. “A review of mixture preparation and combustion control strategies for spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines” SAE Paper 970627 1997
- Preussner C. Döring C. Fehler S. Kampmann S. “GDI: Interaction between Mixture Preparation, Combustion System and Injector Performance” SAE Paper 980498 1998
- Changsoo J. Sangmin C. Choongsik B. Jooyoung K. Seungkook B. “Performance of Prototype High Pressure Swirl Injector Nozzles for Gasoline Direct Injection” SAE Paper 1999-01-3654 1999
- Duclos J. Zolver, M. “3D modeling of intake, injection and combustion in a DI SI engine under homogeneous and stratified operating conditions” COMODIA 1998 335 340 1998
- Habchi C. Foucart H. “Multidimensional modelling of gasoline spray impingement and liquid film heat transfer and boiling on heated surfaces” ICLASS 2000 Pasadena 2000
- Münch K.-U. Kramer H. Leipertz A. “Investigation of fuel evaporation inside the intake of a S.I. Engine using L.I.E.F. with a new seed” SAE Paper 961930 1996
- Fröba A.P. Rabenstein F. Münch K.-U. Leipertz A. “Mixture of T.E.A. and benzene as a new seeding material for the quantitative two-dimensional L.I.E.F. imaging of Vapor and liquid fuel inside S.I. engines” Comb. & Flame 112 199 209 1998
- Deschamps, B. Lessart, P. Ricordeau, V. 1998
- Deschamps B. Ricordeau V. Depussay E. Mounaïm-Rousselle C. “Combined Catalytic Hot Wires Probe and Fuel-Air-Ratio-Laser Induced-Exciplex Fluorescence Air/Fuel Ratio Measurements at the Spark Location Prior to Ignition in a Stratified GDI Engine” SAE Paper 1999-01-3536 1999
- Lawrenz W. Kohler J. Meier F. Stolz W. Wirth R. Bloss W.H. Maly R.R. Wagner E. Zahn M. “Quantitative 2D LIF Measurements of Air/fuel Ratios During the Intake Stroke in a Transparent SI Engine” SAE Paper 922320 1992
- Le Coz J.F. Catalano C. Baritaud T. “Application of laser induced fluorescence for measuring the thickness of liquid films on transparent walls” 7th Int. Symp. on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics Lisbon 1994
- Lozano A. Yip B. Hanson R.K. “Acetone: a Tracer for Concentration Measurements in Gaseous Flows by Planar Laser-induced Fluorescence” Exp. in Fluids 13 369 376 1992
- Lefebvre A.H. Atomisation and Sprays Hemisphere Publishing 1989
- Le Coz J.F. “Comparison of Different Drop Sizing Techniques on Direct Injection Gasoline Sprays” 9th Int. Symp. on Applications of Laser Techniques To Fluid Mechanics Lisbon 1998
- VanDerWege B.A. Hochgreb S. “Effects of Fuel Volatility and Operating Conditions on Fuel Sprays in DISI Enges: (1) Imaging Investigation” SAE Paper 2000-01-0535 2000
- Ipp W. Wagner V. Krämer H. Wensing M. Leiperz A. Arnt S. Jain A. “Spray formation of high pressure swirl gasoline injectors investigated by two Dimensional Mie and LIEF Techniques” SAE Paper 1999-01-0498 1999
- Lippert, A.M. Reitz, R.D. “Modeling of multicomponent fuels using continuous distributions with application to droplet evaporation and sprays” SAE Paper 972882 1997
- Deschamps B. Baritaud T. “Visualization of gasoline and exhaust gases distribution in a 4-valve SI engine; effects of stratification on combustion and pollutants” SAE Paper 961928 1996
- Schütte M. Grünefeld G. Andresen P. Hentschel W. Homburg A. Nassif-Pugsley D. “Fuel/Air Ratio Measurements in Direct Injection Gasoline Sprays using 1D Raman Scattering” SAE Paper 2000-01-0244 2000
- Egermann J. Ipp W. Rabenstein, Wensing M. Leiperz A. “Spray formation and evaporation of high swirl atomizers for Gasoline Direct Injection” ILASS-Europe'99 Toulouse 1999