This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Natural Convection inside an Automotive Headlamp by Using CFD - Temperature Prediction of the Parts by SHT Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
In order to improve thermal endurance, mechanical durability and ventilation performance in a headlamp, it is important to understand heat transfer and flow in an automotive headlamp. Especially in a design stage, understanding natural convection inside the headlamp will make it possible to shorten its development period, which can be fulfilled by Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD). In the present study, a newly-developed method called Surface Heat Transfer (SHT) method, that is a unique technique for making an accurate estimate of temperature and velocity in the automotive headlamp without involving the couple of the fluid mechanics and the structural mechanics (the coupled fluid solid interaction), was investigated for practical use. An evaluation of SHT method was performed, and CFD results were compared with the experimental results. Consequently, the temperature results by CFD were within ±10 degrees as compared with the experimental results.
- Touichirou Shiozawa - Koito Manufacturing Co., Ltd
- Masatoshi Yoneyama - Koito Manufacturing Co., Ltd
- Koichi Sakakibara - Koito Manufacturing Co., Ltd
- Shuichi Goto - Koito Manufacturing Co., Ltd
- Norihisa Tsuda - Nippon Steel Corporation
- Tetsuo Saga - Institute of Industrial Science, University of Tokyo
- Toshio Kobayashi - Institute of Industrial Science, University of Tokyo
CitationShiozawa, T., Yoneyama, M., Sakakibara, K., Goto, S. et al., "Analysis of Natural Convection inside an Automotive Headlamp by Using CFD - Temperature Prediction of the Parts by SHT Method," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0860, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0860.
- Shiozawa, T. Nakanishi, A. Ozawa, T. Oki, T. Tsuda, N. Saga, T. Kobayashi, T. Thermal Air Flow Analysis of an Automotive Headlamp SAE paper 2000-01-0802 2000
- Shiozawa, T. Nakanishi, A. Tsuda, N. Kobayashi, T. Analysis for Heat Temperature and Fluid Dynamics of Automobile-Headlamp (First Report: the CFD calculation and the PIV measurement by using a Skeleton model) JSAE paper, N0.35-99 1999 5 8
- Shiozawa, T. Tsuda, N. Saga, T. Uchida, K. Goto, S. Kobayashi, T. Analysis of Mixed Convection inside an Automotive Headlamp (Prediction of the Temperature on the surface of the Parts by SHT Method) JSME
- Shiozawa, T. Oki, T. Ozawa, T. Uchida Sakakibara, K. Goto, S. Tsuda, N. Saga, T. Kobayashi, T. Thermal Air Flow Analysis of an Automotive Headlamp (Second Report: Prediction of Temperature and flow field) JSAE paper, N0.12_ 00 2000 5 8
- Gill, A. E. J. Fluid Mechanics 26 1966 515 536