This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Tool on Fatigue for 3D Components With Consideration of Residual Stresses
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
This paper presents a fatigue design tool for three dimensional components with taking the residual stresses into account. The residual stresses are present in many mechanical components and play an important role in the fatigue problem of structure. By using the cyclic behaviors of material, a simplified method to calculate residual stress relaxation has been proposed in the first part of this paper. Secondly, a method to predict fatigue life with taking the stabilized residual stresses into account is presented. This design tool is based on the finite element method. It has been applied to shot-peened 35NCD16 grade steel. The different fatigue parameters often used in material research are studied. An experimental investigation about this material had been done by Bignonnet. The results of study show that this design tool on fatigue developed by LASMIS is able to take into account different loading parameters.
CitationGong, K., Milley, A., and Lu, J., "Design Tool on Fatigue for 3D Components With Consideration of Residual Stresses," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0828, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0828.
- Bignonnet A., Tenue à la fatigue d'un acier 35NCD16 grenaillé, évolution des contraintes résiduelles de grenaillage en fonction du type de sollicitations. Proceedings of ninth conference on shot peening (CETIM) Senlis, France, nov 85, pp107-116
- FATIGUE3D, User Manuel, UTT-LASMIS, jan 2000
- ABAQUS Theory Manuel. Hibitt, Karlsson and Sorensen, Inc, 1996
- LuJ., FlavenotJ.F., DiboineA., LasserreS., FrosteyC., BennebachM., Palin-LucT., Development of a general multiaxial fatigue criterion for high fatigue prediction, Fourth International Conference on Biaxial/Multiaxial Fatigue, Paris, 1994
- LuJ., FlavenotJ.F., TurbatA., Prediction of residual stress relaxation during fatigue, ASTM STP 993, 1998, pp75-90
- MacherauchE., KloosK.H., Origin, measurement and evalution of residual stresses, Residual stress in Science and Technology, Edited by MacherauchE. and HaukV., DGM, VERLAG, 1987, pp.3-26
- LuJ., Handbook of measurement of residual stresses, SEM 1996
- HammondD.W., MeguidS.A., Fatigue facture and résidual stress relaxation in shot-peened components. Surface Engineering International Conference, Juin 1990, Toronto, Canada, Edited by MeguidS.A., Elsevier applied science, pp. 386-392
- HanagarthH., VöringerO. et MacherauchE., Relaxation of shot peening residual stresses of steel 42CrMo4 by tensile or compressive deformation. Proceedings of fourth International Conference on shot peening, 1990, Edited by IidaK. J.S.P.E, pp. 337-345
- OshidaY., DalyJ., Fatigue damage evaluation of shot peened high strength aluminium alloy. Surface Engineering International Conference, juin 1990, Toronto, Canada, Edited by MeguidS.A., Elsevier applied science, pp. 404-416
- LevrantG.R., Langer B.S., YuenA., Surface residual stresses topography and the fatigue behaviour of Ti-6Al-4V, Metal transaction, 1979, 10, pp. 251-257