This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Pitting Resistant Steel for Transmission Gears
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
It was found that pitting resistance of gears is strongly influenced by resistance to temper softening of carburized steel. The investigation about the influence of chemical compositions on hardness after tempering revealed that silicon, chromium and molybdenum are effective elements to improve resistance to temper softening and pitting resistance. Considering the production of gears, molybdenum is unfavorable because it increases hardness of normalized or annealed condition. Developed new steel contains about 0.5 mass% of silicon and 2.7 mass% chromium. The new steel has excellent pitting resistance and wear resistance. Fatigue and impact strength are equivalent to conventional carburized steels. Cold-formability and machinability of the new steel are adequate for manufacturing gears because of its ordinary hardness before carburizing. The new steel has already been put to practical use in automatic transmission gears. Application test results are also reported.
CitationNakamura, T., Hanyuda, T., Yoshida, M., and Murakami, Y., "Development of Pitting Resistant Steel for Transmission Gears," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0827, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0827.
- Namiki K. likubo T. “Effects of Alloying Elements on the Impact Strength of Carburizing Gear Steel” DENKI-SEIKO[ELECTRIC FURNACE STEEL] 59 1988 5
- Namiki K. Umegaki S. Okada Y. Tani I. “High Performance Differential Dear” SAE Technical Paper Series 1989
- Mizuno K. Matsubara T. Amano M. Nakada M. Suzuki M. Hattori K. “Development of High Strength Transmission Gear Steels” HONDA R&D Technical Review 5 1993 60
- Hisamatsu S. Kanazawa T. “Improvement of Carburized Gear Strength by Shot Peening” JIDOSHA-GIJUTSU 41 1987 722
- Hatano A. Namiki K. “Application of Hard Shot Peening to Automotive Transmission Gears” SAE Technical Paper Series 1992 920760
- Okada Y. Matsumoto T. Kawaguchi A. Tanaka T. Nishio K. “Development of High Strength Transmission Gears” SAE Technical Paper Series 1992 920761
- Ishii N. “Abnormal Surface Layer and Improvement of Fatigue Strength of Carburized Steel” NETSU SHORI 30 1990 240
- Hatano A. Nakamura S. “The Effect of Alloy Elements on the Pitting Fatigue Durability of Carburizing Steels” CAMP-ISIJ 6 1993 796
- Watanabe Y. Narita N. Umegaki S. Mishima Y. “Effects of Shot-peening on Resistance to Softening during Tempering and Contact Fatigue Strength of Carburized and Carbo-nitrided JIS SCr420H Steels” ISIJ Int. 84 1998 902
- Kinami T. Nakamura S. “Effect of Slip Ratio on Roller Pitting Test” CAMP-ISIJ 10 1997 472