This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Flow Simulations of a Detailed Car Underbody
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
The airflow around a detailed car underbody has been simulated using a commercial CFD software. Moving ground and rotating-wheel boundary conditions were applied in order to allow comparisons of Cd and dCd values with experimental data from a wind tunnel fitted with moving ground facilities. The calculated Cd and dCd figures compared very well with the available experimental results. Four configurations were tested and the maximum difference between experimental and numerical Cd values was 0.009. The individual contribution of different parts of the vehicle to the total drag was calculated and is discussed in this paper. This paper also describes in detail the numerical technique used to perform the computations.
|Technical Paper||Aerodynamic Design Considerations of a Formula 1 Racing Car|
|Technical Paper||A Calibration Study of CFD for Automotive Shapes and CD|
|Technical Paper||Aerodynamic Design and Analysis of a Vehicle Prototype Racing Sport|
CitationSebben, S., "Numerical Flow Simulations of a Detailed Car Underbody," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0703, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0703.
- Skea, A.F. Bullen, P.R. Harvey, J.K. “The use of CFD to predict the air flow around a rotating wheels” 2 nd MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics 1998
- Skea, A.F. Bullen, P.R. Qiao, J. “Underbody aerodynamics: Using CFD to simulate the airflow around a rotating wheel of a passenger car” Birmingham 1999
- Skea, A.F. Bullen, P.R. Qiao, J. “Review of Underbody Aerodynamics: Testing Techniques; Airflow Characteristics; CFD Contribution” Ford Technical Journal 1998
- Vitali, D. Casella, M. Bergamini, P. “CFD Prediction of the Effect on Aerodynamic Drag of Vehicle Underbody” ECCOMAS 96 Proceedings John Wiley & Sons UK 1996
- Hucho, W.H. “Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles” 4th Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa 1998
- STAR-CD Version 3.05 User Guide Computational Dynamics Limited 1998
- Axelsson, N. Ramnefors, M. Gustafsson, R. “Accuracy in Computational Aerodynamics Part 1: Stagnation Pressure” SAE Technical Paper 980037 1998
- Perzon, S. Sjögren, T. Jönson, A. “Accuracy in Computational Aerodynamics Part2: Base Pressure” SAE Technical Paper 980038 1998
- Perzon, S. Janson, J. Höglin, L. “On Comparisons Between CFD Methods and Wind Tunnel Test on a Bluff Body” SAE Technical Paper 199-01-0805 1999
- Perzon, S. “Optimering av Kylluftsflöden” Volvo Internal Report 1998
- Han, T. “Optimization of Bluff-Body Rear-End Shape for Minimum Drag in Ground Proximity” 1990
- Makowski, F.T. “Advances in External-Aero Simulation of Ground Vehicles Using the Steady RANS Equations” SAE Technical Paper 1999
- Lien, F.S. Leschziner, M.A. “Upstream Monotonic Interpolation for Scalar Transport with Application to Complex Turbulent Flows” Int. J. Num. Meth. Fluids 19 527 548 1994