This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation on Soot and NOx Formation in a DI Common Rail Diesel Engine with Pilot Injection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
The influence of pilot injection timing and quantity on soot, NOx, combustion noise and bsfc has been analyzed on a passenger car DI Diesel engine prototype equipped with a common rail fuel injection system.
The investigated engine operating points were 1500/5, 2000/2, 2500/8 rpm/bar, which are quite typical of EC driving cycles. For each of these operating conditions, the pilot injection quantity was varied by up to 15% of the total injected quantity and the pilot injection timing was varied between 32° and 1° crank angle degrees.
The principal combustion characteristics were determined on the basis of the heat release, and a thorough statistical analysis was performed to infer the correlation between the combustion parameters and soot and NOx emissions.
The obtained results allow an evaluation of the impact of different injection strategies on the combustion process taking into account not only the thermodynamic effects of the pilot injection, but also the effects of the hydraulic and mechanical behavior of the injection system.
CitationBadami, M., Millo, F., and D'Amato, D., "Experimental Investigation on Soot and NOx Formation in a DI Common Rail Diesel Engine with Pilot Injection," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0657, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0657.
In-Cylinder Diesel Particulate and Nox Control 2001
Number: SP-1592; Published: 2001-03-05
Number: SP-1592; Published: 2001-03-05
- Morello, L. Martinez, P. “FIAT High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engine for Application on Passenger Cars” SAE Paper No. 890460 1989
- Stock, D. “The New Audi - 5 Cylinder Turbo Diesel Engine: The First Passenger Car Diesel Engine with Second Generation Direct Injection” SAE Paper No. 900648 1990
- Rinolfi, R. Imarisio, R. “The Potentials of Third Generation Direct Injection Diesel Engines for Passenger Cars” Engine and Environment International Congress AVL List GmbH Graz September 1997
- Rinolfi, R. Imarisio, R. Buratti, R. “The Potential of a New Common Rail Diesel Fuel Injection Sistem for the next Generation of DI Diesel Engines” 16 Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium VDI - Verlag Reihe 12 239
- Ceronetti, G. F. Imarisio, R. Stroppiana, B. “Control Strategies and Design Modifications for Exhaust Emission Reduction in Direct Injection Diesel Engines” FISITA Paper No. 905074 1990
- Piccone, A. Rinolfi, R. “FIAT Third Generation DI Diesel Engines” IMECHE-Ricardo “The Euro 4 Challenge - Future Technologies and System” London December 1997
- Durnholz, M. Endres, H. Frisse P “Preinjection: A measure to Optimize Emission Behavior of DI-Diesel Engine” SAE paper No. 940674 1994
- Augustin, U. Schwarz, V. “Low-Noise Combustion With Pilot Injection” Truck Technology International 1991
- Tow, T. C. Pierpont D. A. Reitz R. D. “Reducing Particulate and NO x Emissions by Using Multiple Injections in a Heavy Duty D. I. Diesel Engine” SAE paper No 940897 1994
- Nehmer, D. A. Reitz R. D. “Measurement of the Effect of Injection Rate and Split Injections on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx Emissions” SAE paper No 940668 1994
- Pierpont, D. A. Montgomery, D.T. Reitz, R. D. “Reducing Particulate and NO x Using Multiple Injections and EGR in a D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE paper No 950217 1995
- Zelenka, P. Egert, M. Cartellieri, W. “Ways to Meet Future Emission Standards with Diesel Engine Powered Sport Utility Vehicles (SUV)” SAE paper No. 2000-01-0181 2000
- Han, Z. Uludogan, A. Hampson, G.J. Reitz, R. D. “Mechanism of Soot and NO x Emission Reduction Using Multiple-Injection in a Diesel Engine” SAE paper No. 960633 1996
- Jianwen, Li Chae Jae Ou Lee, S. M. Jeong, J. S. “Modeling the Effects of Split Injection Scheme on Soot and NO Emissions of Direct Injection Diesel Engines by a Phenomenological Combustion Model” SAE paper No. 962062 1996
- Heywood, J. B. “ Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals ” McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York 1988