This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analytical and Empirical Methods for Optimization of Cylinder Liner Bore Distortion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
Beside the traditional prediction of stresses and verification by mechanical testing the optimization of cylinder liner bore distortion is one of today's most important topics in crankcase structure development. Low bore distortion opens up potentials for optimizing the piston group. As the piston rings achieve better sealing characteristics in a low deformation cylinder liner, oil consumption and blow-by are reduced. For unchanged oil consumption and blow-by demands, engine friction and subsequently, fuel consumption could be reduced by decreasing the pre-tension of the piston rings. From the acoustical point of view an optimization of piston-slap noise is often based on an optimized bore distortion behavior.
Apart from basics to the behavior of liner bore distortion the paper presents advanced analytical and empirical methods for detailed prediction, verification and optimization of bore distortion taking into account the effective engine operation conditions. In that matter design features and other important influence parameters for bore distortion will be discussed and evaluated.
CitationMaassen, F., Koch, F., Schwaderlapp, M., Ortjohann, T. et al., "Analytical and Empirical Methods for Optimization of Cylinder Liner Bore Distortion," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0569, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0569.
- Bohac Baker Assanis A Global Model for Steady State and Transient SI-Engine Heat Transfer Studies SAE-Paper No. 960073
- Woschni G. 1989
- Woschni G. Die Berechnung der Wandwärmeverluste und der thermischen Belastung der Bauteile von Dieselmotoren MTZ 31 1970 12 491 499
- Woschni G.
- Woschni G.
- Pflaum W. Mollenhauer K. Springer Verlag 1977
- Abe S. Suzuki M. Analysis of Cylinder Bore Distortion During Engine Operation SAE - Paper 950541
- Dunaevsky Analysis of Distortions of Cylinders and Conformability of Piston rings Tribology Transactions 33 33 40 1990
- Tomanik E. Piston Ring Conformability in a Distorted Bore SAE Paper 960356
- Knopf M.
- Koch F. Loeprecht M. et al. Cylinder Liner Deformation Analysis - Measurements and Calculations SAE Paper 980567
- Fujimoto H. Yoshihara Y. Goto T. Furuhama S. Measurement of Cylinder Bore Deformation During Actual Operating Engines SAE-Paper 910042