This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New Scratch Measurement Technique for Exterior Body Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
This paper will describe a novel method for quantifying the perceived scratch and mar susceptibility of polymer surfaces. For automotive applications the relevant parameter that determines customer satisfaction is the visual perception of scratch and mar. Visual perception of a discontinuity on a surface is based on the contrast between the damaged area and its surroundings. The observed contrast differences are a function of the way in which light is scattered from the damaged area, as well as the illumination and observation angles. We have developed an imaging system that uses two geometries to capture the major contrast elements differentiating a scratch from its surroundings. The data from the two geometries are processed to extract values for reflectivity of the sample surface as well as that of the damaged area under the two observation conditions. The optical imaging data will subsequently be related to data collected from visual assessments by test groups of people to generate a numeric assessment of Visual Quality.
|Technical Paper||Correlation of Split-Injection Needle Lift and Spray Structure|
|Technical Paper||Thermal Design Verification of the MIPAS Instrument|
|Technical Paper||Application of X-Ray Microtomography to the Study of Polymer Composites|
CitationRangarajan, P., Watkins, V., Harding, K., Blohm, M. et al., "New Scratch Measurement Technique for Exterior Body Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0444, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0444.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Materials & Manufacturing
Number: V110-5 ; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-5 ; Published: 2002-09-15
- Hunter, R.S.H., R,W. , The Measurement of Appearance, 2nd Edn.: Wiley Interscience.
- Jones, F.N., et al., Studies of microhardness and mar resistance using a scanning probe microscope. Progress In Organic Coatings., 1998. 34: p. 1–4.
- Briscoe, B.J., Delfino A., and Pelillo E., Single Pass pendulum scratching of PS & PMMA. Wear, 1999. 225–229: p. 319–328.
- Briscoe, B.J.E., P.D.; Pelillo, E.; Sinha, S.K., Scratching Maps for Polymers. Wear, 1996. 200: p. 137–147.
- Bethune, B., The surface cracking of glassy polymers under a sliding spherical indentor. J. Mater. Sci, 1976. 11: p. 199–205.
- Belan-Gaiko, V.N., Experimental study of the deformability of polymers under nonstationary proportional loading at a complex stress state. Probl. Prochn., 1991(8): p. 61–4.
- Balta Calleja, F.J., et al., Rolling deformation of Nylon 6,12 studied by microhardness: Influence of the hydrogen bonded planes. Shizuoka Univ, 1994. 28: p. 53.
- Shen, W.D., Ye H.J., and Jones F., Study of stress-hardening and fatigue of polymer coatings in marring with a scanning probe microscope. Tribology Letters, 1998. 5: p. 2–3.
- Shen, W., et al., Real time observation of viscoelastic creep of a polymer coating by scanning probe microscope. Tribology Letters,, 1998. 5(1): p. 75–79.
- Courter, J.L. and Kamenetzky E.A.. Micro- and nano-indentation and scratching for evaluating the mar resistance of clear coats. 1999.
- Ania, F., Martinez-Salazar J., and Balta Calleja F.J., Physical aging and glass transition in amorphous polymers as revealed by microhardness. J. Mater. Sci., 1989. 24(8): p. 2934–8.
- Bajpai, R., et al., Annealed and Quenched Microhardness of PC under different conditions. J. Polym. Mater., 1998. Dec: p. 329.
- Balta Calleja, F.J., et al., Correlation of microhardness and morphology in injection-molded poly(ethylene terephthalate). J. Mater. Sci., 1993. 28(22): p. 6074–80.
- Balta Calleja, F.J. and Fakirov S., Recent advances in the study and characterisation of polymers by microhardness. Trends in Polym. Sci., 1997. 5(8): p. 246–9.
- Lorenzo, V., et al., Microhardness as a thermally activated process: indentation time dependence for an amorphous copolyester. J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 1993. 48: p. 1177–1181.
- Parashar, P., et al., Microhardness Measurement of Polypropylene, Polyethylene Terephthalate and Polytetrafluoroethylene. Die Makromolekulare Chemie Macromolecular symposia No, 1988. 20(1): p. 465–74.
- Rikards, R., et al., Study of the elastic properties of polymers from microhardness tests. J. Polym. Eng, 1997. 17(3): p. 179.