This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Inverse Method for Measuring Weld Temperatures during Resistance Spot Welding
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
A new monitoring system predicts the progression of welding temperature fields during resistance spot welding. The system captures welding voltages and currents to predict contact diameters and simulate temperature fields. The system accurately predicts fusion lines and heat-affected zones. Accuracy holds even for electrode tips used for a few thousand welds of zinc coated steels.
CitationMatsuyama, K., Obert, R., and Chun, J., "Inverse Method for Measuring Weld Temperatures during Resistance Spot Welding," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0437, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0437.
- Bentley K.P., Greenwood J. A., Temperature distribution in spot welds, British Welding Journal, 10 (1963), n 12, pp 613-619.
- Okuda T. et al., A study of spot welding of heavy gage mild steel, International Institute of Welding, Doc. III-389-70 (1970).
- Nishiguchi K., Matsuyama K., Influence of current wave form on nugget formation phenomena when spot welding thin steel sheet, Welding in the World, 25 (1987), n 11/12, pp 222-244.
- Zhang W, Jensen H.H, Bay N., Finite element modeling of spot welding similar and dissimilar metals, Proc. of Seventh Int. Conf. on Computer Technology in Welding, pp 364-373.
- Li M.V., Dong P., Kimchi M., Finite element modeling of resistance spot welding of galvanized steel, Proc. of Seventh Int. Conf. on Computer Technology in Welding, pp 389-398.
- Babu S.S., Riemer B.W., Santella M.L., Feng Z. Integrated thermal-microstructure model to predict the property gradients, Proc. of Sheet Metal Welding Conference VIII (1998), paper #5-2.
- Matsuyama, K., Modeling of nugget formation process in resistance spot welding, Proc. of Seventh Int. Conf. on Computer Technology in Welding, pp 486-495.
- Matsuyama K., Sato H, Nishiguchi K, Computer-aided monitoring system of nugget formation process, Proc. of Fifth Welding Symposium of Japan Welding Society (1990), pp 577-582
- Matsuyama K., Real time visualization of welding state in spot welding, Proc. of Ninth Int. Conf. on Computer Technology in Welding (1999), pp 3-14.