This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Approximation of IC Engine Valve Acceleration from Proximity Probe Displacement Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
This study utilizes an eddy current proximity probe to approximate the acceleration of a valve in a SOHC valve train. Several techniques are discussed for extrapolating acceleration data from displacement data through numerical differentiation. The data were compared to acceleration data as measured by an accelerometer mounted on the valve face. It was found that valve train acceleration behavior can be reasonably approximated using displacement data as measured by a proximity probe when differentiated using a three-point, Lagrangian interpolation. But the frequency response of the proximity probe is severely restricted by the limitations of the measurement and data collection instrumentation, the limitations of the differentiation method and the continuity of the base measured data.
CitationJohnson, B., Retzke, D., Dewitt, D., Norton, R. et al., "Approximation of IC Engine Valve Acceleration from Proximity Probe Displacement Data," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0369, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0369.
- Beckwith, Thomas G. et al., (1993) “Mechanical Measurements” 5ed. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company. Reading, MA.
- Blough, Jason R. and Gwaltney, Geoffrey D., (1999) “Summary and Characteristics of Rotating Machinery Digital Signal Processing Methods” SAE 1999-01-2818.
- Braun, S., (1986) “Mechanical Signature Analysis: Theory and Applications” Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, New York.
- Brigham, E. Oran., (1988) “The Fast Fourier Transform and its Applications” Prentice-Hall, Inc. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
- Broch, Jens Trample., (1990) “Principles of Experimental Frequency Analysis” Elsevier Science Publishers LTD, London.
- Burden, Richard L. and Faires J. Douglas., (1997) “Numerical Analysis”.
- Buuck, Bryce A., (1982) “Elementary Design Considerations for Valve Gears” SAE 821574.
- Dent, Wu-Tsung and Chen Chin-Rong., (1989) “A New Approach for the Analysis of OHC Engine Cam Shape” SAE 891768.
- Ectron Corporation., (1982) “Instruction Manual: 500 Series DC Amplifiers and Signal Conditioners (Models 550, 560, 561 and 562)”.
- Gray, Damon and Roberts Jeffrey, Julian Jason., (1999) “Design of a Valve Train Test Fixture”. Major Qualifying Project, WPI.
- Hewlett Packard., (1994) “HP 35670A Operator's Guide”.
- Kamiyama, Eichi and Yasuhara Shigeki., (1991) “Improvement of DOHC Valve Tappet Noise By Analysis of Valve and Tappet Movement” SAE 911061.
- Kurisu, Toru, Hatamura Kouichi, and Omoti Hirotumi., (1991) “A Study of Jump and Bounce in a Valve Train” SAE 910426.
- Nagle, Patrick D., (1992) “Making the Most of Valve Train Lift Data” SAE 921665.
- Norton, Robert L., (1999) “Design of Machinery: An Introduction to the Synthesis and Analysis of Mechanisms and Machines,” 2ed. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Norton, Robert L., (2000) “Machine Design: An Integrated Approach,” 2ed. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey..
- Norton, Robert L., (1997) “Report on Vibrations in the Chrysler 2.0L SOHC Valve Train”, Personal Communication.
- Norton, Robert L., Eovaldi David, Westbrook James and Stene Ronald., (1999) “Effect of Valve Cam Ramps on Valve Train Dynamics” SAE 1999-01-0801.
- Norton, Robert L., Stene Ronald, Westbrook James and Eovaldi David., (1998) “Analyzing Vibrations in an IC Engine Valve Train” SAE 980570.
- PCB Piezotronics, Inc., “Model 462A05 Charge Amplifier Operating Instructions”.
- Press, William and Flannery Brian, Taukolsky Saul and Vettering William., (1986) “Numerical Recipes; The Art of Scientific Computing,” Cambridge University Press, Cambridge U.K.
- Ramirez, Robert W., (1985) “The FFT Fundamentals and Concepts” Prentice-Hall, Inc. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
- Rao, Singiresu S., (1995) “Mechanical Vibrations” Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Reading, MA..
- Schamel, Andreas R., Hammacher Joachim, and Utsch Dietrich., (1993) “Modeling and Measurement Techniques for Valve Spring Dynamics in High Revving Internal Combustion Engines” SAE 930615.
- Stoer, Josef and Bulirsch Roland., (1980) “Introduction to Numerical Analysis” Springer Verlag.