This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
FMEA-Based Design for Remanufacture Using Automotive-Remanufacturer Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
This paper describes the development of a Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) modified to support design for remanufacture. The results of the waste-stream analysis of an automotive remanufacturer were used for this FMEA. The remanufacturer waste stream was assessed to determine factors that impede the reuse of parts. The use of the modified FMEA allows consideration of factors such as ease of detection and repair of failure, in conjunction with contribution to the waste stream of each failure mode, to develop priorities in design for remanufacture.
CitationLam, A., Sherwood, M., and Shu, L., "FMEA-Based Design for Remanufacture Using Automotive-Remanufacturer Data," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0308, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0308.
Environmental Issues in Vehicle Design and Manufacturing
Number: SP-1579; Published: 2001-03-05
Number: SP-1579; Published: 2001-03-05
- Eubanks, C.F. Kmenta, S. Ishii, K. 1996 “System Behavior Modeling as a Basis for Advanced Failure Modes and Effects Analysis” Proc. ASME Design Eng. Tech. Conf. and Comp. in Eng. Conf. Irvine, CA, U.S.A
- Finger, S. Dixon, J.R. 1989 “A Review of Research in Mechanical Engineering Design. Part 2: Representations, Analysis, and Design for Life Cycle” Research in Engineering Design 1 121 137
- Hammond, R. Amezquita, T. Bras, B.A. 1998 “Issues in the Automotive Parts Remanufacturing Industry: Discussion of Results from Surveys Performed among Remanufacturers,” Int. J. of Engineering Design and Automation 4 1 27 46
- Hammond, R. Bras, B.A. 1996 “Design for Remanufacturing Metrics,” Proc. 1st Int. Workshop on Reuse Eindhoven, The Netherlands 5 22
- Ishii, K. Lee, B.H. 1996 “Reverse Fishbone Diagram: A Tool in Aid of Design for Product Retirement” Proc. ASME Design Eng. Tech. Conf. and Comp. in Eng. Conf. Irvine, CA, U.S.A
- Kimura F. Hata, T. Suzuki H. 1998 Product Quality Evaluation Based on Behaviour Simulation of Used Products Annals of the CIRP 47 1 119 122
- Kmenta S. Fitch, P. Ishii K. 1999 “Advanced Failure Modes and Effects Analysis of Complex Processes,” Proc. ASME Design Eng. Tech. Conf. and Comp. in Eng. Conf. Las Vegas, NV, U.S.A.
- Lund, R. 1996 The Remanufacturing Industry: Hidden Giant Boston University Boston, MA, U.S.A.
- SAE 1995 “Potential Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA),” SAE J-1739
- Mangun, D. Thurston, D.L. 2000 “Product Portfolio Design for Component Reuse,” Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Electronics and the Environment San Francisco, CA, USA 86 92
- Sherwood, M. Shu, L. “Modified FMEA using Analysis of Automotive Remanufacturer Waste Streams to Support Design for Remanufacture,” Proceedings of the 2000 ASME DETC and CIE Design Theory and Methodology Conference Baltimore, MD, USA September 10-14 2000
- Shu, L. Flowers, W. 1998 Reliability Modeling in Design for Remanufacture Trans. of the ASME Journal of Mechanical Design 120 4 620 627
- Shu, L. Flowers, W. 1999 Application of a Design-for-Remanufacture Framework to the Selection of Product Life-Cycle Fastening and Joining Methods Int. J. Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing 15 3 179 190
- Stamatis, D. 1995 Failure Mode and Effects Analysis: FMEA from Theory to Execution Milwaukee, WI ASQC Quality Press
- U.S. Congress 1992 Green Products by Design: Choices for a Cleaner Environment Office of Technology Assessment Washington, D.C.
- Umeda, Y. Shimomura, Y. Yoshioka, M. Tomiyama, T. 1999 “A Proposal of Design Methodology for Upgradable Products,” Proc. ASME Design Eng. Tech. Conf. and Comp. in Eng. Conf. Las Vegas, NV, U.S.A.
- Williams, J. Shu, L. 2000 “Analysis of Toner-Cartridge Remanufacture Waste Stream,” Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Electronics and the Environment San Francisco, CA, USA 260 265
- Zussman, E. Kriwet, A. Seliger, G. 1994 “Evaluation of Product Ease of Separation into Materials and Components in the Recycling Process,” Annals of the CIRP 43 1