This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Side Impact Structural Characterization from FMVSS 214D Test Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
Due to the upgrade of FMVSS 214 and the emergence of side NCAP tests, there is a growing body of crash test data on vehicle side structures. Such data would be very useful to reconstructionists, except that the struck vehicle behavior is masked, in part, by the use of a deformable moving barrier in the test. The post-impact dynamics and the energy absorption by the barrier itself must be accounted for if the desired vehicle structural characterization is to be extracted.
Attempts prior to this paper to achieve a side structure characterization have dealt with these issues by invoking various simplifying assumptions. Unfortunately, these have not been supported by a foundation in either physics or measurement. Questions have also been raised whether prior characterizations of the barrier face are appropriate, in view of the prior crash modes being so unlike the FMVSS 214 test.
To address these issues, crash tests of the barrier itself, in an appropriate crash mode, have been conducted. The properties of the barrier face in this mode have been determined. The paper shows how to use those properties, in combination with results from crabbed moving deformable barrier tests, to extract the structural characteristics of the side-struck vehicles. Such characteristics are presented for 43 vehicles.
|Journal Article||Crush Energy and Stiffness in Side Impacts|
|Technical Paper||2-Door Vehicle Body Local Force Evaluation with the IIHS, EuroNCAP, and LINCAP Side Impact Barriers|
|Technical Paper||Crush Energy and Structural Characterization|
Citationstruble, D., Welsh, K., and Struble, J., "Side Impact Structural Characterization from FMVSS 214D Test Data," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0122, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0122.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems
Number: V110-6; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-6; Published: 2002-09-15
- Campbell K “Energy Basis for Collision Severity,” SAE Paper 740565 1974
- Davis S Ragland C “Development of a Deformable Side Impact Moving Barrier,” Proceedings, Eighth International Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles October 1980
- Day T Hargens R “Differences between EDCRASH and CRASH3,” SAE Paper 850253 February 1985
- Struble-Welsh Engineering “FBarTest,” a data base of frontal barrier crash tests conducted by NHTSA, compiled over a ten-year period from numerous public sources, including NHTSA crash test lists and hard-copy crash test reports
- NHTSA Laboratory Test Procedure for FMVSS 214 “Dynamic” Side Impact Protection, TP-214D-05 August 1999
- Hackney J Monk M Holliwell W Sullivan L Willke D “Results of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Thoracic Side Impact Protection Research Program,” SAE Paper 840886 May 1984
- Klaus G Sinnhuber R Hoffmann G “A Comparison of European and American Test Devices and Test Parameters for Lateral Impacts,” Proceedings, Tenth International Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles July 1985
- MGA Corporation Demonstration Tests (TTD #1) April 1997
- MGA Corporation TTD #1 Testing - 54.7 KPH Instrumented Barrier (MDB) to Stationary Barrier Impact Test - Test No. 4 January 1998
- McHenry R “Users Manual for the CRASH Computer Program,” Calspan Report ZQ-5708-V-3 January 1976
- Neptune J Flynn J “A Method for Determining Crush Stiffness Coefficients from Offset Frontal and Side Crash Tests,” SAE Paper 980024 February 1998
- Prasad A “Energy Absorbed by Vehicle Structures in Side-Impacts,” SAE Paper 910599 February 1991
- Public Law 89-563 “National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966,” 15 USC 1392 1966
- Scott L Fell J “An Historical Review of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Field Accident Investigation Activities,” National Center for Statistics and Analysis August 1988
- Strother C Woolley R James M Warner C “Crush Energy in Accident Reconstruction,” SAE Paper 860371 February 1986
- Strother C Kent R Warner C “Estimating Vehicle Deformation Energy for Vehicles Struck in the Side,” SAE Paper 980215 February 1998
- Struble D “Generalizing CRASH3 for Reconstructing Specific Accidents,” SAE Paper 870041 February 1987
- Trella T Samaha R Fleck J Strassburg G “Moving Deformable Barrier with Dynamic Force and Deflection Measurement Capabilities for Full Scale Tests,” SAE Paper 2000-01-0637 2000
- Warner C Allsop D Germane G “A Repeated-Crash Test Technique for Assessment of Structural Impact Behavior,” SAE Paper 860208 February 1986
- Welsh K Struble D “Crush Energy and Structural Characterization,” SAE Paper 1999-01-0099 March 1999
- Willke D Monk M “CRASH3 Model Improvements: Derivation of New Side Stiffness Parameters for Crash Tests, Volume 2,” June 1987