This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New Crash Discrimination Algorithms and Locations of Accelerometers
Published June 12, 2000 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
Two new algorithms for frontal crash discrimination were proposed; one used the deceleration change multiplied by the velocity change as a metric, and the other used the deceleration squared multiplied by the velocity change. For all the frontal crash modes studied in this paper, the first algorithm resulted in the time-to-fires of frontal air bags less than the required time-to-fires, and the second algorithm resulted in the time-to-fires less than the required time-to-fires except only for underride crashes. Moreover, it was proposed that an accelerometer be installed at each side of the rails, rockers or pillars to assess the crash severity of each side especially during an asymmetric crash such as oblique and offset crashes. As an example, the deceleration pulses measured at the left and right B-pillar · rocker locations were processed through the first algorithm, and appropriate but different time-to-fires of the driver air bag and the passenger air bag were obtained.
CitationJeong, H. and Kim, Y., "New Crash Discrimination Algorithms and Locations of Accelerometers," SAE Technical Paper 2000-05-0282, 2000.
- NHTSA Docket No. NHTSA 99-4405; Notice 1
- JPL Final Report 1998 Advanced Air Bag Technology Assessment
- NHTSA Docket No. NHTSA 99-6407; Notice 1.
- Allen J. L. 1992 Power-Rate Crash Sensing Method for Safety Device Actuation SAE Technical Paper 920478
- Gioutsos T. 1992 A Predictive Based Algorithm for Actuation of an Airbag SAE Technical Paper 920479
- Kanamoto, J, Miyamori, M. Jinno, K. Hirao, M. 1994 Electronic Crash Sensing Unit for Airbag SAE Technical Paper 940624
- Park, S. W. Jeon M. C. 1998 Crash Discrimination Algorithm for Airbag Electronic Single-point Sensor KSAE 98134 (in Korean)
- Adams, T. G. Huang, M. Hultman, R. W. Marsh, J. C. Henson, S. E. 1990 The Development of an Advanced Air Bag Crash Sensing System SAE Technical Paper 905140
- Breed, D. S. Sanders, W. T. Castelli, V. 1992 A Critique of Single Point Sensing SAE Technical Paper 920124
- Mahon, G. L. Hensler, R. L. 1993 Tradeoffs Encountered in Evaluating Crash Sensing Systems SAE Technical Paper 930648
- Kelly, J. P. 1993 Sensing Considerations and Tradeoffs for Single Point Sensing SAE Technical Paper 932916
- Rich, D. B. Kosiak, W. K. Manlove, G. J. Schwarz, D. L. 1997 A Remotely Mounted Crash Detection System SAE Technical Paper 973240
- Oppenheim, A. V. Schafef, R. W. 1989 Discrete-Time Signal Processing 2nd ed Prentice-Hall 142 147
- Breed, D. S. Castelli, V. 1988 Problems in Design and Engineering of Airbag Systems SAE Technical Paper 880724