This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Driver Side Air Bag Development for Light Truck
Published June 12, 2000 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
This study presents a driver side airbag development procedure of a cab-over type light truck which weighs from 2000kg to 3500kg. For the airbag development, crash tests are performed according to FMVSS 208 regulation used for passenger car. Test results are used to develop an airbag ECU and get a vehicle pulse for computer simulation and sled test. This study proposes a modified airbag deployment criterion, T150mm−25ms, for cab-over type truck. A finite element computer model for occupant behavior analysis is developed and utilized to find optimal airbag parameter values. Then, sled test is performed to verify the computed airbag parameter values and tune them if necessary. Finally, crash test equipped with airbag is performed again to check the improvement of injury coefficients. This study suggests three things to overcome the difficulties in femur protection capability.
CitationKim, S., Lee, D., and Song, J., "The Driver Side Air Bag Development for Light Truck," SAE Technical Paper 2000-05-0273, 2000.
- Sukegawa Y. Matukawa F. Kuboike T. Oki M. 1998 Heavy Duty Vehicle Crash Test method in Japan 16 th ESV
- Sukegawa Y. Matukawa F. Kuboike T. Oki M. 1998 Study of Large Bus Crash Test JARI Research Journal 20-11 Japan, 16 th ESV
- Nii Naoki “Collision analysis of Heavy-duty Vehicle in Isuzu” ESI Asia News 1998
- Mellander H. Koch M. “Restraint System Evaluation - A Comparison Between Barrier Crash Test, Sled Tests and Computer Simulation” AB Volvo, No 780605 SAE 1978
- Wilson Richard. A. “Wvaluating Knee ti Instrument Panel Impacts” Safety Research and Development Lab. General Motor. SAE 690801
- Kim Kyung chul “ The Study on Design Factor for Improving Injury Data in Frontal Impact” Register No. Car Technic
- Rilling James J. “Sensing and Diagnostic Module for Airbags” Delco Electronics Corp. SAE 952682