This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Crash Worthiness of Super High-Decker Large-sized Bus by CAE Approach
Published June 12, 2000 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
There is a limit in expense and facilities to perform structural analysis by repeating crash tests using actual vehicles. This paper describes an example of crash analysis by FEM performed by our company, for frontal crash and rollover of a large-sized bus. Regarding the frontal crash analysis, firstly static collapse tests were performed using a scale model of the under-floor structure in order to get the deformation mode, then the structure was analyzed using an FE model. Secondly, an effectiveness of a full model that included the frame model was verified by a frontal crash test at 35km/h. Last, the structural improvement based on the full model was considered. Regarding the rollover analysis, since the event duration is long, a method to utilize partial body model instead of a complete vehicle was proposed in order to reduce calculation time. As practical results, the improved vehicle showed good performance satisfying the target level in frontal crash and rollover tests.
- Kazuhiro Fukamachi - 1) SUBARU RESEARCH CENTER co., ltd., Japan 2) Fuji Heavy Industries co., ltd., Japan
- Shuji Miyamoto - 1) SUBARU RESEARCH CENTER co., ltd., Japan 2) Fuji Heavy Industries co., ltd., Japan
- Hiroshi Nagasawa - 1) SUBARU RESEARCH CENTER co., ltd., Japan 2) Fuji Heavy Industries co., ltd., Japan
- Shinji Uchino - 1) SUBARU RESEARCH CENTER co., ltd., Japan 2) Fuji Heavy Industries co., ltd., Japan
CitationFukamachi, K., Miyamoto, S., Nagasawa, H., and Uchino, S., "Study of Crash Worthiness of Super High-Decker Large-sized Bus by CAE Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2000-05-0211, 2000.
- Japan Automobile Research Institute, Inc. Research Report for Bus Safety 1994
- Nakagawa et al. CAE Application for ISUZU New Heavy Duty Sightseeing Bus Series “GALA” ISUZU Technical review No.98 1997
- PAM-CRASH Solver Reference Manual Version 1998
- Sukegawa et al. Accident Analysis and Experimental Studies of Bus Occupants Protection in Frontal Impact JSAE Spring convention Proceedings No.37-99 1999
- Regulation No.66
- Niii et al. Rollover Analysis Method of a Large-sized Bus ISUZU Technical review No.95 1996 32 38
- Roca T. et al. Development of Rollover-Resistant Bus Structures AutomotiveEngineer 1997 151 155
- Riebeck L. et al. Weiterentwicklung der Umsturzsicherheit bei MAN-Reiseomnibussen ATZ98 12 1996 662 670