Finite Element Analysis and Optimal Design of Automobile Clutch Diaphragm Spring
Published June 12, 2000 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
A diaphragm spring is an important component of a clutch assembly, characteristic of which depends largely on that of a diaphragm spring. A diaphragm spring is subject to high stress concentration in driving condition, which frequently causes cracks and fracture around finger area. In this paper, behavior of a diaphragm spring is analyzed by finite element method to calculate sensitivity of design parameters, which is used to perform optimal design of diaphragm spring shape. As an object function, tangential stresses are taken and minimized to improve durability. Characteristics of the diaphragm is used as equality constraint to maintain the original design purpose and sequential linear programming(SLP) is utilized as an optimization tool. With optimized design, it is verified that concentrated stress is decreased maintaining release load characteristic.
- Wook-hee NAM - 1) VALEO-Pyeonghwa Co., Ltd. KOREA 2-4) YEUNGNAM University, KOREA
- Choon-yeol LEE - 1) VALEO-Pyeonghwa Co., Ltd. KOREA 2-4) YEUNGNAM University, KOREA
- Young S. CHAI - 1) VALEO-Pyeonghwa Co., Ltd. KOREA 2-4) YEUNGNAM University, KOREA
- Jae-do KWON - 1) VALEO-Pyeonghwa Co., Ltd. KOREA 2-4) YEUNGNAM University, KOREA
CitationNAM, W., LEE, C., CHAI, Y., and KWON, J., "Finite Element Analysis and Optimal Design of Automobile Clutch Diaphragm Spring," SAE Technical Paper 2000-05-0125, 2000.
- Almen, J.O. and Laszlo, A., 1936, “The Uniform Section Disk-Spring”, Trans. ASME 58, S. 305/314.
- Brecht, W.A. and Wahl, A.M., 1930, “The Radially Tapered Disk Spring”, Trans. ASME vol. 52, part 1.
- Wernitz, W., 1954, “Die Tellerfeder”, Konstruktion, 6, S. 361-376.
- Lutz, O., 1960, “Zur Berechnung Der Tellerfeder”, Konstuktion, 12, S. 57-59.
- Reissner, E., 1949, “On the Theory of Thin Elastic Shells”, Reissner Anniversary Volume, J.W. Edwards, Ann Arbor, Michigan, pp. 231-247.
- Timoshenko, S.P. and Woinowsky-Krieger S., 1959, “Theory of Plates and Shells”, McGraw-Hill Inc., New York, N.Y.
- Arora, J.S., 1989, “Introduction to Optimum Design”, McGraw-Hill Inc., New York, N.Y.
- Crisfield, M.A., 1991, “Non-Linear Finite Element Analysis of Solids and Sturctures”, John Willey & Sons Ltd., Baffins Lane., Chichester., West Sussex PO19 IUD., England
- Kasai, H., Inoue, N. and Asagi, Y., 1986, “A Unique Development Method for Microcomputer Controlled Mechanical Clutch and Transmission”, SAE 860599.
- Steinhagen, H.G., “The Plate Clutch”, SAE 800978
- Willyard, J.J., “Heavy Duty, Large Single Plate Diaphragm Spring, Dry Clutches”, SAE 892476
- Maycock, I.C., “Improvements in Agricultural Tractor Clutch Performance”, SAE 831348