Experimental Study on the Combustion Characteristics of Emulsified Diesel in a RCEM
Published June 12, 2000 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
Combustion characteristics of the emulsified diesel fuels are investigated in a Rapid Compression and Expansion Machine(RCEM). Among the test cases the 40 W/O fuel injected at BTDC 20° has shown the best performance with respect to the efficiency and NOx and soot emissions. The pressure trace of the 40 W/O fuel is characterized by a longer ignition delay and a lower rate of pressure rise in premixed combustion. High speed photographs show reduced flame luminosity and lower flame temperature with the increasing W/O ratio. Micro-explosions of emulsified fuel droplets which affect the local shape and brightness of the flame are identified in magnified flame images.
CitationPark, J., Huh, K., and Park, K., "Experimental Study on the Combustion Characteristics of Emulsified Diesel in a RCEM," SAE Technical Paper 2000-05-0077, 2000.
- Tsukahara, M. and Yoshimoto, Y. W/O Emulsion Realizes Low Smoke and Efficient operation of DI Engines without High Pressure Injection. SAE technical paper 890449, 1989.
- Tsukahara, M. and Yoshimoto, Y. Reduction of NOx, Smoke, BSFC, and Maximum Combustion Pressure by Low Compression Ratios in a Diesel Engine Fuelled by Emulsified Fuel. SAE technical paper 920464, 1992.
- Kohketsu, S., Mori, K., Sakai, K. and Nakagawa, H. Reduction of Exhaust Emission with New Water Injection System in a Diesel Engine. SAE technical paper 960033, 1996.
- Tsukahara, M., Murayama, T., and Yoshimoto, Y. Influence of Fuel Properties on the Combustion in Diesel Engine Driven by the Emulsified Fuel. Journal of the JSME, 1982, Vol. 25, No. 202, pp.612-619.
- Yoshimoto, Y., Tsukahara, M. and Kuramoto, T. Improvement of BSFC by Reducing Diesel Engine Cooling Loses with Emulsified Fuel. SAE technical paper 962022, 1996.
- Gunnerman, R. W. and Russell, R. L. Emission and Efficiency Benefits of Emulsified Fuels to Internal Combustion Engines. SAE technical paper 972099, 1997.
- Ishida, M. and Chen, Z. L. An Analysis of the Added Water Effect on NO Formation in D.I. Diesel Engines. SAE technical paper 941691, 1994.
- Arun, S. P. S. Photographic Study of Fuel Spray Ignition in a Rapid Compression Machine. SAE technical paper 86065, 1986.
- Ahn, S. K., Yukio, M. and Takeyuki, K. Measurement of Flame Temperature Distribution in a D.I Diesel Engine by Means of Image Analysis of Nega-Color Photographs. SAE technical paper 810183, 1981.
- Heywood, J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, 1988 (McGraw Hill, New York), pp. 497-502.
- Sheng H. Z., Chen, L. and Wu, C. K. The Droplet Group Micro-Explosions in W/O Diesel Fuel Emulsion Sprays. SAE technical paper 950855, 1995.