ITS Evolution and Challenge
Published June 03, 2000 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
This paper describes “what is ITS?” and “how the vision of ITS and organized activities emerged throughout the world.” It also describes that the implementation of ITS technologies offers tremendous opportunities to improve the traffic congestion and accidents, and that there still remain a number of issues and challenges for the successful implementation of ITS.
The technical issues addressed are: availability of proven technology, compatibility, uncertainty in sustainability of new technology and product, and benefits. Besides the non-technical issues are also addressed and some way to approach the issues are introduced.
In conclusion learning from each other and international cooperation with concerted efforts is recommended for the realization of ITS services efficiently and economically.
CitationLee, S., "ITS Evolution and Challenge," SAE Technical Paper 2000-05-0011, 2000.
- IVHS America. 1992. A Strategic Plan for IVHS. FHWA, US DOT
- Whelan, R. 1995. Smart Highways, Smart Cars. Arch House
- Apogee Research, Inc., Wilbur Smith Associates. 1997. Final reports: ITS National Investment and Market Analysis. ITS America
- FHWA, US DOT. 1997. ITS Benefits: Continuing Successes and Operational Test Results. FHWA-JPO-98-002
- Siwek, S. J. & Associates. Transportation Planning and ITS: Putting the Pieces Together. FHWA, US DOT
- Ran, B. 1998. A Systematic Overview on Automated Highway System. A Paper Presented at a Workshop held in Ajou University, Suwon, Korea
- Korea Research Institute for Human Settlement. 1999. A Study for the Establishment of Korea National ITS Architecture. Vol. I and II. Ministry of Construction and Transportation, Korea
- Korea Transport Institute. 1999. A Study for the Development of Korea National ITS Master Plan. Ministry of Construction and Transportation, Korea
- Lockwood, S. 1999. Realizing ITS: The vision vs. The Challenge. Journal of ITE Vol. 69, No.12: 24-27
- Weiland, R. J. 2000. ISO TC204 Business Plan. A Draft presented to the TC204 Business Plan Review Committee. ISO TC204