This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Costs and Benefits of Head up Displays: An Attention Perspective and a Meta Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 10, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reports a meta analysis of all studies located in the literature that have compared head up versus head down display of equivalent information, as these displays support both tracking (e.g., flight path control) and discrete event detection. The data clearly indicate a HUD advantage for most tasks, except tracking during cruise flight and event detection during final approach. The latter HUD cost however is observed only when events to be detected are entirely unexpected, reflecting a form of cognitive tunneling. The meta-analysis also reveals an advantage for conformal over non-conformal HUD imagery.
CitationFadden, S., Wickens, C., and Ververs, P., "Costs and Benefits of Head up Displays: An Attention Perspective and a Meta Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-5542, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-5542.
- Martin-Emerson, R. Wickens, C. D. 1997 Superimposition, symbology, visual attention, and the head-up display Human Factors 39 4 581 601
- Wickens, C. D. Long, J. 1995 Object vs. space-based models of visual attention: Implication for the design of head-up displays Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied 1 3 179 194
- Tufano, D. R. 1997 Automotive HUDs: The overlooked safety issues Human Factors 39 2 303 311
- Wickens, C. D. 1996 Attention and information access effort in head-up displays Savoy, IL University of Illinois, Aviation Research Lab.
- Wickens, C. D. 1997 Attentional processes in GA head-up display design Savoy, IL University of Illinois, Aviation Research Lab.
- Ververs, P. M. Wickens, C. D. 1996 Allocation of attention with head-up displays Savoy, IL University of Illinois, Aviation Research Lab.
- Fisher, E. Haines, R. F. Price, T. A. 1980 Cognitive issues in head-up displays NASA Technical Paper 1711 Moffett Field, CA NASA Ames Research Center
- Newman, R. L. 1995 Head-up displays: Designing the way ahead Brookfield, VT Ashgate
- Weintraub, D. J. Ensing, M. J. 1992 Human factors issues in head-up display design: The book of HUD CSERIAC State of the Art Report 92-2 Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH Crew Station Ergonomics Information Analysis Center
- Rosenthal, R. 1991 Meta-analytic procedures for social research Newbury Park, CA Sage
- Mosteller, F. M. Bush, R. R. 1954 Selected quantitative techniques Lindzey G. Handbook of social psychology: Volume 1. Theory and method 289 334 Cambridge, MA Addison-Wesley