This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Augmentation for Synthetic Vision Displays – An Energy Based Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 10, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To provide information about the position and orientation of the aircraft relative to the required flight path, several experimental synthetic vision display formats include a depiction of this path by means of a so-called highway-or tunnel-in-the-sky, sometimes augmented with a position predictor. To accurately track both a vertical path and a commanded velocity, energy management is required. The conventional position predictor supports path tracking but requires the pilot to use the resulting velocity error for thrust control. This paper discusses the development of an enhancement to the position predictor based on energy management considerations. The enhanced predictor provides the information needed to maintain energy awareness and allows an anticipatory thrust control strategy to be applied.
|Technical Paper||Piloted Studies of Enhanced or Synthetic Vision Display Parameters|
|Technical Paper||Synthetic Vision Databases for Runway Incursion Avoidance|
|Technical Paper||Vision 1 Synthetic Vision System|
CitationTheunissen, E. and Rademaker, R., "Augmentation for Synthetic Vision Displays – An Energy Based Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-5518, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-5518.
- Alter, K.W. Barrows, A.K. Enge, P. Jennings, C.W. Parkinson, B.W. Powell, J.D. 1998 ‘Inflight Demonstrations of Curved Approaches and Missed Approaches in Mountainous Terrain’ Proceedings of the ION GPS Conference Nashville
- Grunwald, A.J. Merhav, S.J. 1978 ‘Effectiveness of Basic Display Augmentation in Vehicular Control by Visual Field Cues’ IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics SMC-8 9 679 690
- Grunwald, A.J. 1984 ‘Tunnel Display for Four-Dimensional Fixed-Wing Aircraft Approaches’ Journal of Guidance 7 3 369 377
- Lambregts, A.A. 1983 ‘Operational Aspects of the Integrated Vertical Flight Path and Speed Control System’ SAE Technical Paper Series 831420, Proceedings of the Aerospace Congress October 3-6 Long Beach, CA
- Monagan, S.J. Smith, R.E. 1981 Head-Up-Display Flight Tests Proceedings of the Fifth Advanced Aircrew Display Symposium 104 116 Patuxent River, Maryland
- Rademaker, R.M. 1999 Development of an Energy Management PFD using Total Energy Control Principles Department of Electrical Engineering, Delft University of Technology
- Sachs, G. Möller, H. 1995 ‘Synthetic Vision Flight Tests for Precision Approach and Landing’ Proceedings of the AIAA GNC Conference August 7- 10 Baltimore, MD
- Systems Associates, Inc. 1983 Command Flight Path Display, Phase I and II, Final Technical Report, R83-49 CA
- Theunissen, E. 1993 ‘A Primary Flight Display for Four-Dimensional Guidance and Navigation - Influence of Tunnel Size and Level of Additional Information on Pilot Performance and Control Behaviour’ Proceedings of the AIAA Flight Simulation Technologies Conference 140 146 Monterey, CA
- Wattler, J.F. Jr Logan, W.B. 1981 ‘The Maneuvering Flight Path Display - An Update’ Proceedings of the Fifth Advanced Aircrew Display Symposium 138 162 Patuxent River, MD