This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High Power Density, High Efficiency, Low EMI DC to DC Converter for Space Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 31, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Power Systems Conference
A recently introduced class of hybrid, soft-switching DC-DC converters is analyzed in detail with respect to the requirements of space applications. The basic hybrid converter and its various extensions achieve soft-switching under all operating conditions. The filter waveforms in these converters have inherently low high-frequency ripple, resulting in significantly lower filter requirement, both at the input as well as at the output sides. In this paper, the operating principles and the soft-switching characteristics are explained. The savings in the filter requirement are quantified for each of the topological variations.
CitationAyyanar, R. and Mohan, N., "High Power Density, High Efficiency, Low EMI DC to DC Converter for Space Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3601, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3601.
- Mweene L. Wright C.A. Schlecht M.F. “A 1kW 500 kHz front end converter for a distributed power supply system,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics 6 July 1991 398 407
- Fisher R.A. Ngo K.D.T. Kuo M.H. “A 500 kHz, 250W dc-dc converter with multiple outputs controlled by phase-shifted PWM and magnetic amplifiers,” Proc. High Frequency Power Conversion Conf. May 1988 100 110
- Ayyanar R. Mohan N. “Full-Load-Range-ZVS Hybrid DC-DC Converter with Two Full-Bridges For High-Power Battery Charging,” Proceedings of INTELEC'99 20 2
- Ayyanar R. Mohan N. “A Novel Full-Bridge DC-DC Converter for Battery Charging Using Secondary-side Control Combines Soft-Switching over the Full Load Range and Low Magnetics Requirement” Proc. IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference (APEC'00) 2000 340 346
- Ayyanar R. Mohan N. “An Improved Full-ZVS-Range Hybrid DC-DC Converter with Low Filter Requirement Capable of Adding and Subtracting the Controlled and Uncontrolled Sections,” Proc. IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC'2000)
- Ayyanar R. “A Novel Class of Hybrid, Soft-Switching DC-DC Converters with High Power-Density, High Efficiency and Low EMI” Ph.D Thesis University of Minnesota July 2000