This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Road Simulation for NASCAR Vehicles at the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 13, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A road simulation system has been developed at the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel (LFST) to support the aerodynamic testing of NASCAR-class race cars. The leading edge of the existing ground board was recontoured to alleviate a separation bubble and an active suction boundary layer control system, incorporating a bleed slot and axial flow blower, has been implemented. Performance evaluations include boundary layer surveys at various locations in the vicinity of the car balance with the empty tunnel as well as force measurements with a representative vehicle both with and without the boundary layer control system operating.
|Technical Paper||The Wind Tunnel's Ground Plane Boundary Layer - Its Interference with the Flow Underneath Cars|
|Technical Paper||The Porsche Wind Tunnel Floor-Boundary-Layer Control - A Comparison with Road Data and Results from Moving Belt|
CitationLandman, D., "Road Simulation for NASCAR Vehicles at the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3550, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3550.
- Britcher, C. P. Landman, D. “From the 30 by 60 to the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel,” 36th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit January 1998
- Hucho, W. H. “Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles,” SAE 1998
- Katz, J. “New Directions in Race Car Aerodynamics, Designing for Speed,” Robert Bentley Publishers 1995
- Barnard, R. H. “Road Vehicle Aerodynamic Design” Addison Wesley Longman Limited 1996
- Britcher, C. P. Landman, D. “Jurassic Tunnel: The Life, Death, and Resurrection of the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel,” European Forum on Wind Tunnels and Wind Tunnel Test Techniques April 1997
- Landman, D. Britcher, C. P. “Development of Race Car Testing at the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel,” SAE 98MSV-21 1998
- Schlichting, H. “Boundary Layer Theory,” 7th McGraw-Hill 1979
- Barlow, J. B. Rae, W. H. Pope, A. “Low Speed Wind Tunnel Testing,” 3rd John Wiley and Sons 1999
- Landman, D. Britcher C.P. Martin, P. “A Study of Ground Simulation for Wind Tunnel Testing of Full-Scale NASCAR's,” AIAA 2000-0153
- Cogotti, A. “Ground Effect Simulation for Full-Scale Cars in the Pininfarina Wind Tunnel,” SAE PT-49 1996
- Berndtsson, A. Eckert, W.T. Mercker, E. “The effect of Groundplane Boundary Layer Control on Automotive Testing in a Wind Tunnel,” SAE 880248 1988