This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Linear Model Updating Applied to Rotating Machines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The present research proposes the use of linear model updating along with unrestricted optimization methods, in order to obtain a methodology, which allows the calibration of mathematical models of rotating systems. An experimental set up of a symmetric rotor, on a rigid foundation supported by two hydrodynamic cylindrical bearings and with a central disk of considerable mass, working as an unbalancing excitation force, was used for this purpose. Once the numeric and experimental values are obtained, error vectors are then defined, which serve as minimization parameters, through the variation of the numeric model parameters. The method presented satisfactory results, as it was able to calibrate the mathematical model and then from that, obtain reliable responses for the physical system studied. The research also presents a significant contribution for the area of rotating machine design as it presents a relatively simple and robust methodology on the updating and revalidation of computational models for machines and structures.
CitationJacon, F. and Cavalca, K., "Linear Model Updating Applied to Rotating Machines," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3189, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3189.
- ARRUDA, J. R. F., Rotor model updating by unbalance response curve-fitting. In: 7 th INTERNATIONAL MODAL ANALYSIS CONFERENCE, IMAC, 1989. Proceedings of … New York: Union Coll, 1989. v. 1, p. 479-484.
- GIRARD, A., CHATELAIN, J., BUGEAT, L. P.,, Model updating approach for rotating shafts. In: 15 th INTERNATIONAL MODAL ANALYSIS CONFERENCE, IMAC, 1997. Proceedings of … New York: Union Coll, 1997. v. 2, p. 1419-1425.
- MOINE, P., BILLET, L., AUBRY, D., Two updating methods for dissipative models with non symmetric matrices. In: 15 th INTERNATIONAL MODAL ANALYSIS CONFERENCE, IMAC, 1997. Proceedings of … New York: Union Coll, 1997. v. 2, p. 1931-1936.
- AUDEBERT, S. et al., Multi-bearing rotor model updating using experimental modal and response data. In: 15 th INTERNATIONAL MODAL ANALYSIS CONFERENCE, IMAC, 1997. Proceedings of … New York: Union Coll, 1997. v. 1, p. 162-168.
- CHILDS, Dara., Turbomachinery Rotordynamics -Phenomena, Modeling and Analysis. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1993
- CAVALCA, K. L. & DEDINI, F.G.& UEMURA, R., Mancais Hidrodinãmicos: Modelagem e Representação como elementos de conexão Rotor-Suportes-Fundação. In: IV congresso de engenharia Mecânica Norte-Nordeste, Recife, PE, 1996.
- FRISWELL, M. I. & MOTTERSHEAD, J. E., Finite Element Model Updating in Structural Dynamics. Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.
- ARORA, JASBIR S., Introduction to Optimum Design. McGraw Hill International Editions, New York, 1989.
- CAVALCA, K.L. & CAVALCANTE, P. F., A method to analyse the interaction between rotor-foundation systems. In: 16 th INTERNATIONAL MODAL ANALYSIS CONFERENCE, IMAC, 1998. Proceedings of … Santa Barbara, USA.
- CHELI,F. & CAVALCA, K. L. & DEDINI, F. G. -Supporting structure effects on rotating machinery vibrations. Proceedings of Institute of Mechanical Engineers, ImechE, 1992.