This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Detection of Faults in Gearboxes Through Vibration Signals Time-Frequency Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Faults in gear teeth produce vibration components that can be recognized using adequate signals analysis techniques. The techniques based in the spectral analysis work better, when exists a repetition frequency of the occurrence of defect which is well known. However, in the specific case of identification of faults in gearboxes in assembly lines, the sampling of signals is usually carried out with the system operating in acceleration or start up of the drive shaft. Therefore, it is necessary to study the components of these signals, using tools that are able to extract the transient features caused by faults and by variation of the rotation frequency. In this paper, the measured vibration signals in automotive gearboxes have been studied through time-frequency tools, particularly, the Continuous Wavelet Transform (CWT), Pseudo Wigner Distribution (PWD) and Choi-Williams Distribution (CWD). The results prove that such techniques, can be used like convenient tools in the quality control of these vehicular components.
CitationGuimarães, T. and Duarte, M., "Detection of Faults in Gearboxes Through Vibration Signals Time-Frequency Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3176, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3176.
- BRAUN, S. “Mechanical Signature Analysis - Theory and Aplications” Academic Press London 1986
- MENEGATTI, W. B. “Identification of Faults in Gearboxes through Vibration and Noise Signals” Federal University of Uberlândia Uberlândia, MG, Brazil 1999
- RANDALL, R. B. “A New Method of Modeling Gear Faults” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design 104 259 267 1982
- COHEN, L. “Time-Frequency Analysis” Englewood Cliffs Prentice Hall 1995
- WANG, W. J MCFADDEN, P. D. “Application of Wavelets to Gearbox Vibration Signals For Fault Detection” Journal of Sound and Vibration 192 927 939 1996
- CHOI H-I. WILLIAMS, W. J. “Improved Time-Frequency Representation of Multicomponent Signals Using Exponential Kernels” IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing 6 37 862 871 1989
- GAUNAURD, G. C. STRIFORS, H. C. “Signal Analysis by Means of Time-Frequency (Wigner Type) Distributions - Applications to Sonar and Radar Echoes” Proceedings of the IEEE 9 84 1241 1247 1996