This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Luminosity and Laser-Induced Incandescence Investigations on a DI Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effectiveness of two optical measurement techniques better known from diesel engine investigations concerning soot investigations applied to a direct injection (DI) gasoline engine is demonstrated. The first technique records the luminosity emitted by the combustion flame via an optical probe and analyzes it with temporal and spectral resolution using an imaging spectrograph and an image intensifying streak CCD camera. Chemiluminescence of OH radicals can be detected simultaneously by selecting an according wavelength range. Most combustion cycles of the research engine under investigation are burning lean but a few combustions are rich. In those cycles time-resolved combustion temperatures are derived by an optimized multi-color method.
Laser-induced Incandescence (LII) needs larger optical access but has the advantage that the soot can be imaged in a light-sheet plane and the soot can be traced until outlet when there are no chemiluminescent emissions anymore. LII signals in the present approach are excited by a KrF excimer laser at 248 nm. Parameter studies show this to be possible. A suitable detection timing and optical filter can exclude interference of fluorescence signals. The great advantage of using a KrF laser is a complete hardware compatibility from LII to laser-induced fluorescence (LIF) experiments.
Luminosity measurements and LII together are complementary and well suitable to in-cylinder soot investigations on direct injection gasoline engines.
CitationBlock, B., Oppermann, W., and Budack, R., "Luminosity and Laser-Induced Incandescence Investigations on a DI Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2903, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2903.
Combustion and Emissions Formation in SI and Diesel Engines
Number: SP-1562; Published: 2000-10-16
Number: SP-1562; Published: 2000-10-16
- Block, B. Hentschel, W. Ertmer, W. “Pyrometric Determination of Temperature in Rich Flames and Wavelength Dependence of Their Emissivity” Comb. and Flame 114 359 1998
- Antoni, C. Peters, N. “Cycle Resolved Emission Spectroscopy for IC Engines” SAE Paper No. 972917 1997
- Block, B. Möser, P. Hentschel, W. “Time-resolved emission spectroscopy for the combustion analysis of series production engines” Opt. Eng. 36 4 1183 1997
- Dec, J. E. Espey, C. “Ignition and Early Soot Formation in a DI Diesel Engine Using Multiple 2-D Imaging Diagnositcs” SAE Paper No. 950456 1995
- Will, S. Schraml, S. Leipertz, A. “Comprehensive Two-Dimensional Soot Diagnostics Based on Laser-Induced Incandescence (LII)” Twenty-Sixth Symp. (Int.) on Comb./The Comb. Inst. 2277 1996
- Filippov, A. V. Markus, M. W. Roth, P. “In-Situ Characterization of Ultrafine Particles by Laser-Induced Incandescence: Sizing and Particle Structure Determination” J. Aerosol Sci. 30 1 71 1999
- Shaddix, C. R. Harrington, J. E. Smyth, K. C. “Quantitative Measurements of Enhanced Soot Production in a Flickering Methane/Air Diffusion Flame” Comb. and Flame 99 723 1994
- Knapp, M. Luczak, A. Beushausen, V. Hentschel, W. Andresen, P. “Vapor/Liquid Visualization with Laser-Induced Exciplex Fluorescence in an SI-Engine for Different Fuel Injection Timings” SAE Paper No. 961122 1996
- Krämer, H. Münch, K.-U. Leipertz, A. “Comparison of Two Injectors by LIF With Respect to Mixture Formation and Combustion Inside the Cylinder of a Transparent SI Engine” SAE Paper No. 972946 1997
- Rothe, E. W. Andresen, P. “Application of tunable excimer lasers to combustion diagnostics: a review” Appl. Opt. 36 18 3971 1997
- Arnold, A. Buschmann, A. Cousyn, B. Decker, M. Vannobel, F. Sick, V. Wolfrum, J. “Simultaneous Imaging of Fuel and Hydroxyl Radicals in an In-Line Four Cylinder SI Engine” SAE Paper No. 932696 1993
- Fields, M. Zheng, J-B. Qian, S.-X. Kindlmann, P. J. Swindal, J. C. Acker, W. P. “Single-Shot Temporally and Spatially Resolved Chemiluminescence Spectra from an Optically Accessible SI Engine” SAE Paper No. 950105 1995
- Shoji, H. Saima, A. Sasao, T. Ikeda, S. Arai, J. Iwasaki, M. “The Behavior of Radical Luminescence Intensity in a Spark Ignition Engine” JSAE Rev. 13 1 14 1992
- Hottel, H. C. Broughton, F. P. “Determination of true temperature and total radiation from luminous gas flames” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Analytically Edition 4 2 166 1932
- Corcione, F. E. Mazziotti, G. Vaglieco, B. M. “Two Dimensional Analysis of Diesel Combustion by Spectral Flame Emissivity Measurements” SAE Paper No. 960838 1996
- Arcoumanis, C. Bae, C. Nagwaney, A. Whitelaw, J. H. “Effect of EGR on Combustion Development in a 1.9 l Diesel Optical Engine” SAE Paper No. 950850 1995
- Li, X. Wallace, J. S. “In-Cylinder Measurement of Temperature and Soot Concentration Using the Two-Color Method” SAE Paper No. 950848 1995
- Peterson, R. C. Wu, K.-J. “The Effect of Operating Conditions on Flame Temperature in a Diesel Engine” SAE Paper No. 861565 1986
- Matsui, Y. Kamimoto, T. Matsuoka, S. “A Study on the Application of the Two-Color Method to the Measurement of Flame Temperature and Soot Concentration in Diesel Engines” SAE Paper No. 910736 1991
- Quoc, H. X. Vignon, J.-M. Brun, M. “A New Approach of the Two-Color Method for Determining Local Instantaneous Soot Concentration and Temperature in a D.I. Diesel Combustion Chamber” SAE Paper No. 910736 1991
- Will. S. Schraml, S. Leipertz, A. “Two-dimensional soot-particle sizing by time-resolved laser-induced incandescence” Opt. Letters 20 22 2342 1995
- Roth, P. Filippov, A. V. “In Situ Ultrafine Particle Sizing by a Combination of Pulsed Laser Heatup and Particle Thermal Emission” J. Aerosol Sci. 27 1 95 1996
- Tait, N. P. Greenhalgh, A. “LIF Imaging of Fuel Fraction in Practical Devices and LII Imaging of Soot” Bunsenges. Phys. Chem. 97 1619 1993
- Quay, B. Lee, T.-W. Ni, T. Santoro, R. J. “Spatially Resolved Measurements of Soot Volume Fraction Using Laser-Induced Incandescence” Comb. and Flame 97 384 1994