This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Combustion, Piston Temperatures, Fuel Sprays, and Fuel-Air Mixing in a DISI Optical Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A transparent direct-injection spark-ignition engine incorporating a rapid-acting, drop-down cylinder has been built. The design enables access in less than a minute for cleaning windows. Combustion performance of the optical engine is characterized in terms of indicated pressure and coefficient of variation of indicated pressure as a function of injection timing. Piston temperatures are measured and a skip-fire routine is developed so that quartz piston top temperatures agree with a matching non-optical engine. Laser-induced fluorescence imaging of in-cylinder fuel injections highlights the effects of ambient pressure and fuel temperature on spray morphology. Measurements of gasoline vapor distribution provide statistics on heterogeneity of fuel distribution as a function of injection timing. Flame imaging records details of flame development which depend on the degree of fuel mixing.
CitationSteeper, R. and Stevens, E., "Characterization of Combustion, Piston Temperatures, Fuel Sprays, and Fuel-Air Mixing in a DISI Optical Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2900, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2900.
Combustion and Emissions Formation in SI and Diesel Engines
Number: SP-1562 ; Published: 2000-10-16
Number: SP-1562 ; Published: 2000-10-16
- Zhao F.-Q., Lai M.-C., and Harrington D. L., “Automotive Spark Ignited Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 25, 437-562, 1999.
- Anderson R. W., Yang J., Brehob D. D., Vallance J. K., and Whiteaker R. M., “Understanding the Thermodynamics of Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition (DISI) Combustion Systems: an Analytical and Experimental Investigation,” SAE Transactions 105, 2195-2204 (SAE Paper 962018), 1996.
- Fraidl G., Piock W., and Wirth M., “Gasoline Direct Injection: Actual Trends and Future Strategies for Injection and Combustion Systems,” SAE Transactions 105, 543-559 (SAE Paper 960465), 1996.
- Bowditch F. W., “A New Tool for Combustion Research - A Quartz Piston Engine,” SAE Transactions 69, 17-23 (SAE Paper 610002), 1961.
- Sunnarborg D. A., “Drop-Down Cylinder Liner,” U.S. Patent Application No. 08/902,376, 1999.
- Espey C. and Dec J., “Diesel Engine Combustion Studies In A Newly Designed Optical-Access Engine Using High-Speed Visualization And 2-D Laser Imaging,” SAE Transactions 102, 703-723 (SAE Paper 930971), 1993.
- Najt P. M., GM Research, personal communication, 1999.
- Borman G. and Nishiwaki K., “Internal-Combustion Engine Heat Transfer,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 13, 1-46, 1987.
- Skippon S. M. and Tagaki Y., “ILIDS Measurements of the Evaporation of Fuel Droplets During the Intake and Compression Strokes in a Firing Lean Burn Engine,” SAE Transactions 105, 1111-1126 (SAE Paper 960830), 1996.
- Itoh T., Kakuho A., Hishinuma H., Urushihara T., Takagi Y., Horie K., Asano M., Ogata E., and Yamashita T., “Development of a New Compound Fuel and Fluorescent Tracer Combination for Use with Laser Induced Fluorescence,” SAE Transactions 104, 2287-2300 (SAE Paper 952465), 1995.
- Bohren C. F. and Huffman D. R., Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 107, 1983.
- Zhao F.-Q., Yoo J.-H., Liu Y., and Lai M.-C., “Spray Dynamics of High-Pressure Fuel Injectors for DI Gasoline Engines,” SAE Transactions 105, 1924-1953 (SAE Paper 961925), 1996.
- Shelby M. H., VanDerWege B. A., and Hochgreb S., “Early Spray Development in Gasoline Direct-Injected, Spark-Ignition Engines,” SAE Paper 980160, 1998.
- Wicker R. B., Loya H. I., Hutchinson P. A., and Sakakibara J., “SIDI Fuel Spray Structure Investigat?on using Flow Visualization and Digital Particle Image Velocimetry,” SAE Paper 1999-01-3535, 1999.
- VanDerWege B. A. and Hochgreb S., “Effects of fuel volatility and operating conditions on fuel sprays in DISI engines: (1) Imaging investigation,” SAE Paper 2000-01-0535, 2000.
- Stevens E. J. and Steeper R. R., “Wall Wetting in an Optical DISI Engine: Fuel Films, Pool Fires, and Soot Generation,” submitted to SAE 2001 Congress.
- Zhao F.-Q., Taketomi M., Nishida K., and Hiroyasu H., “PLIF Measurements of Cyclic Variation of Mixture Concentration in a SI Engine,” SAE Transactions 103, 1553-1564 (SAE Paper 940988), 1994.