This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Demonstration of HCCI Using a Single Cylinder Four-stroke SI Engine with Modified Valve Timing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A standard port fuel injected, unthrottled single cylinder four-stroke SI engine, with a compression ratio of 10.3:1, and using standard gasoline fuel, has been adapted to operate in the homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) mode, by modifying the valve timing. It has been found that over a speed range of between 1300 and 2000 rpm, and lambda values of between 0.95 and 1.1, stable operation is achieved without spark ignition. The internal EGR rate was estimated to be about 60%, and emissions of NOX were typically 0.25 g/kWh.
Practical implementation of this HCCI concept will require variable valve timing, which will also enable reversion to standard SI operation for maximum power.
CitationKontarakis, G., Collings, N., and Ma, T., "Demonstration of HCCI Using a Single Cylinder Four-stroke SI Engine with Modified Valve Timing," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2870, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2870.
- Onishi Shigeru Jo Souk Hong Shoda Katsuji Jo Pan Do Kato Satoshi “Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) - A new combustion process for internal combustion engines” SAE 790501
- Noguchi Masaaki Tanaka Yukiyasu Tanaka Taro Takeuchi Yukihisa “A study on gasoline engine combustion by observation of intermediate reactive products during combustion” SAE 790840
- Iida Norimasa “Combustion analysis of methanol-fuelled Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) engine using a spectroscopic observation” SAE 940684
- Ishibashi Yoichi Asai Masahiko “Improving the exhaust emissions of two-stroke engines by applying the Activated Radical Combustion” SAE 960742
- Gentilli Roberto Frigo Stefano Tognotti Leonardo Habert Patrice Lavy Jacques “Experimental study on ATAC (Active ThermoAtmosphere Combustion) in a two-stroke gasoline engine” SAE 970363
- Gentilli R. Frigo S. “Further insight on ATAC and GDI combination in two-stroke engines” SAE 2000-01-0897
- Najt Paul M. Foster David E. “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion” SAE 830264
- Thring R. H. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines” SAE 892068
- Ryan Thomas W. III Callahan Timothy J. “Homogeneous charge compression ignition of Diesel Fuel” SAE 961160
- Aoyama Taro Hattori Yoshiaki Mizuta Jun'ichi Sato Yasuo “An experimental study on Premixed-Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine” SAE 960081
- Christensen Magnus Johansson Bengt AmnJus Per Mauss Fabian “Supercharged Homogeneous charge Compression Ignition” SAE 980787
- Christensen Magnus Johansson Bengt “Influence of mixture quality on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition” SAE 982454
- Christensen Magnus Hultqvist Anders Johansson Bengt “Demonstrating the multi fuel capability of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with variable compression ratio” SAE 1999-01-3679
- Willand Jurgen Nieberding Rolf-Gunther Vent Guido Enderle Christian “The knocking syndrome: its cure and potential” Automotive Engineering International December 1999
- Rassweiler G. M. Withrow L. “Motion pictures of engine flames correlated with pressure cards” SAE 800131
- Odaka M. Suzuki H. Koike N. Ishii H. “Search for optimising control method of Homogeneous Charge Diesel Combustion” SAE 1999-01-0184
- Lavy Jacques Dabadie Jean-Charles Angelberger Christian Duret Pierre Willand Jurgen Juretzka Andreas Schaflein Jochen Ma Tom Lendresse Yvane Sartre Arnaud Schulz Christof Kramer Heinz Zhao Hua Damiano Len “Innovative Ultra-low NO X Controlled Auto-Ignition Combustion Process for Gasoline Engines: the 4-Space Project” SAE 2000-01-1837