This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Fuel Injection Rate Shaping and Injection Pressure on Intermittent Spray Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effects of fuel injection rate shaping and injection pressure on diesel combustion were investigated using an electronically controlled fuel injection system. An analysis of non-evaporating spray reveals that the rate of injection rate increase affects temporal spray evolution, and also that higher injection pressures enhance spray development, particularly in terms of spray width, for all modes of injection rate shaping. From photographs of spray flame and luminous flame radiation data, it is clarified that the enhancement of spray development significantly influences the growth of the spray flame in the initial stages of combustion and affects main combustion. The optimum mode of injection rate shaping, in terms of shortening the main combustion period, varies according to injection pressure.
CitationWakisaka, Y. and Azetsu, A., "Effect of Fuel Injection Rate Shaping and Injection Pressure on Intermittent Spray Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2793, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2793.
Combustion and Emissions Formation in SI and Diesel Engines
Number: SP-1562; Published: 2000-10-16
Number: SP-1562; Published: 2000-10-16
- Heywood J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw Hill 555 1988
- Miyaki M. Fujisawa H. Masuda A. Yamamoto Y. “Development of New Electronically Controlled Fuel Injection System ECD-U2 for Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 910252 1991
- Ishiwata H. Ohishi T. Ryuzaki K. Uonoki K. Kitahara N. “A Feasibility Study of Pilot Injection in TICS (Timing and Injection Rate Control System)” SAE Paper 940195 1994
- Hlousek J. “Electronically Controlled Fuel Injection System for Medium Speed Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 981928 1998
- Edwards S. P. Pilley A. D. Michon S. Fournier G. “The Optimization of Common Rail FIE Equipped Engines Through the Use of Statistical Experimental Design, Mathematical Modelling and Generic Algorithms” SAE Paper 970346 1997
- Ikegami M. Nakatani K. Tanaka S. Yamane K. “Fuel Injection Rate Shaping and Its Effect on Exhaust Emissions in a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine Using a Spool Acceleration Type Injection System” SAE Paper 970347 1997
- Shundoh S. Komori M. Tsujimira K. Kobayashi S. “NOx Reduction from Diesel Combustion Using Pilot Injection with High Pressure Fuel Injection” SAE Paper 920461 1992
- Nishimura T. Satoh K. Takahashi S. Yokota K. “Effects of Fuel Injection Rate Shaping on Combustion and Emission in a DI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 981929 1998
- Bower G. R. Foster D. E. “The Effect of Split Injection on Fuel Distribution in an Engine-Fed Combustion Chamber” SAE Paper 930864 1993
- Hampson G. J. Reitz R. D. “Two-Color Imaging of In-Cylinder Soot Concentration and Temperature in a Heavy-Duty DI Diesel Engine with Comparison to Multidimensional Modeling for Single and Split Injections” SAE Paper 980524 1998
- Wakisaka Y. Azetsu A. Oikawa C. “Effect of Fuel Injection Rate Shaping on Spray Combustion (Effect of the Slope of Injection Rate Rise on Combustion)” Proceedings of COMODIA 98 441 446 1998
- Wakisaka Y. Azetsu A. Oikawa C. “Effect of Fuel Injection Rate Shaping on Spray Combustion (Distributions of Soot and Temperature in Flame)” JSAE, Proceedings of 15 th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium (International) in Seoul 369 374 1999
- Hiroyasu H. Arai M. “Structures of Fuel Sprays in Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 900475 1990
- Wickman D. D. Tanin K. V. Senecal P. K. Reitz R. D. Gebert K. Bakhimer R. L. Beck N. J. “Methods and Results from the Development of a 2600 bar Diesel Fuel Injection System” SAE Paper 2000-01-0947 2000