This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advanced Restraint Features Development - An Approach of Driver Out-of-Position Thoracic Injury Mitigation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 03, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The development of advanced restraint system challenges both restraint and automobile manufacturer to come up the proper air bag design to reduce or eliminate the occupant out-of-position (OOP) related injury. Thoracic injury is one of the critical OOP issues and the primary focus of this study. Based on the effectiveness of air bag design parameters on the OOP thoracic injury from our previous investigation, present study concentrates on applying those findings to develop and evaluate the advanced restraint system design concepts that lead to the resolution of the causes and the reduction of the OOP thoracic injury.
With the aid of computer simulation using coupled structural and computational fluid dynamics scheme, the advanced restraint design concepts are thoroughly investigated. The reduction of OOP thoracic viscous criteria (V*C) is demonstrated. The investigation concludes the majority of the proposed advanced restraint concepts that can effectively improve the OOP thoracic protection.
CitationMu, W., "Advanced Restraint Features Development - An Approach of Driver Out-of-Position Thoracic Injury Mitigation," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2685, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2685.
- Berg F., et. al., “Dummy-Loading Caused by an Airbag in Simulated Out-of-Position Situations” IRCOBI Conference Proceedings, Hanover, September 1997
- Diggerly K., et. al., “Chest Injury to Driver for Alternative Air Bag Inflation Rates”, SAE Paper 970129
- Hirth A. And Dubios P., “Out-of-Position (OOP) Air Bag Simulation for an Driver Module using LS-DYNA3D”, LS-DYNA User's Meeting, Kassel, Germany, 1995
- Horsch J., et. al., “Assessment of Air Bag Deployment Loads”, SAE Paper 902324
- Horsch J. and Culver C., “A Study of Driver Interaction with an Inflating Air Cushion”, SAE Paper 791092, 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conference, October 1979
- Lau I. And Viano D., “The Viscous Criterion: Bases and Applications of an Injury Severity Index for Soft Tissues”, Crash Conference, October 1988
- Malvin J., et al., “Assessment of Airbag Deployment Loads with the Small Female hybrid III Dummy” SAE Technical Paper 933119, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA 1990
- Mu W., et. al., “The Effectiveness of Driver Air Bag Design Parameters on an OOP Small Female Thoracic Injury” AMD-Vol.237 Bed-Vol.45, Page 219231, Symposium on Crashworthiness, Occupant Protection and Biomechanics in Transportation System of 1999 ASME Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition