This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Condition Monitoring of a Hydraulic Valve Through On-Line Estimation of the Valve Orifice Area Profile
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Flow rate monitoring plays a crucial role for precise motion control in many hydraulic systems and for detection of faults and fluid loss in hydraulic system components and circuits. In some situations, however, direct measurement of fluid flow is not possible. Besides, flowmeters are generally non-robust, expensive, and slow in response. In this paper, we have proposed an alternative approach to direct flow measurement for circuits that contain a combination of proportional valves and actuators. A nonlinear state-space representation is used to model the valve orifice area variation with respect to the valve spool position. Kalman Filtering is then utilized to estimate the valve's orifice area in real-time by fusing data from robust low-cost pressure transducers and position sensors. A close agreement is achieved between the estimated and the measured orifice areas for a valve with a complex wedge-shape orifice profile. The orifice area estimate also revealed that the valve spool was not centered at its null (zero) position, which is considered as a flaw in the valve.
|Technical Paper||A Model-Based Design Analysis of Hydraulic Braking System|
|Technical Paper||Solenoid Operated Cartridge Valves|
|Technical Paper||To Improve the Performance of Proportional Valve Controlled Hydraulic Rotary Servo via Nonlinear Compensation|
CitationZavarehi, M., Sassani, F., and Lawrence, P., "Condition Monitoring of a Hydraulic Valve Through On-Line Estimation of the Valve Orifice Area Profile," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2594, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2594.
SAE 2000 Transactions Journal of Commercial Vehicles
Number: V109-2 ; Published: 2001-09-15
Number: V109-2 ; Published: 2001-09-15
- Hogan, P. A., Burrows, C. R., Edge, K. A., Atkinson, R. M., Montakhab, M. R., and Woollon, D. J., 1996, “Automated Fault Tree Analysis for Hydraulic Systems,” ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 118, pp. 278-282.
- Bull, D. R., Burrows, C. R., Edge, K. A., Hawkins, P. G., and Woollons, D. J., 1996, “A Computational Tool for Failure Modes and Effects Analysis of Hydraulic Systems,” Fluid Power Systems and Technology, Proceedings of the 1996 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Vol. 3, pp. 113-118.
- Watton, J. and Xue, Y., 1995, “Identification of Fluid Power Component Behavior Using Dynamic Flowrate Measurement,” Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol. 209, pp. 179-191.
- Merritt, H. E., 1967, Hydraulic Control Systems, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York.
- Khoshzaban, M., Sassani, F., and Lawrence, P. D., 1997, “On-Line State and Parameter Estimation of an Electrohydraulic Valve for Intelligent Monitoring,” IEEE/ASME Proceedings of Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM'97), Tokyo, Japan.
- Zavarehi, M. K., Lawrence, P. D., and Sassani, F., 1999, “Nonlinear Modeling and Validation of Solenoid-Controlled Pilot-Operated Servovalves,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 4, pp. 324-334.
- Zavarehi, M. K., 1997, On-Line Condition Monitoring and Fault Diagnosis in Hydraulic System Components Using Parameter Estimation and Pattern Classification, Ph. D. Dissertation, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC.
- Burton, J. D., Edge, K. A., and Burrows, C. R., 1994, “Modeling Requirements for the Parallel Simulation of Hydraulic Systems,” ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 116, pp. 137-145.
- McCloy, D. and Martin, H.R., 1980, Control of Fluid Power, Ellis Harwood, Chichester, England.
- Dransfield, P., 1981, Hydraulic Control Systems - Design and Analysis of Their Dynamics, Springer-Verlag, Heilderberg.
- Grewal, M. S. and Andrews, A. P., 1993, Kalman Filtering: Theory and Practice, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Zavarehi, M. K., Sassani, F., and Lawrence, P. D., 1998, “On-Line Monitoring a Hydraulic Arm Using Physical Parameter Tracking,” Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Intelligent Automation and Control (ISIAC'98), Anchorage, Alaska, May 10-14, pp. 117.1-117.8.