This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Noise and Emission Reduction Strategies for a Snowmobile
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The following paper discusses alternative strategies for reducing noise and emission production from a two-stroke snowmobile. Electric, two-stroke and four-stroke solutions were analyzed and considered for entry in the Clean Snowmobile Challenge (CSC) 2000. A two-stroke solution was utilized primarily due to time constraints. Complete snowmobile competition results are provided. The electric solution, while the most effective at reducing emissions, is negatively impacted by weight and cost. A modified two-stroke solution, limited by cost and complexity, does not provide the required improvements in emissions. A four-stroke solution reduces noise and emissions and provides an acceptable trade-off between noise, emissions, performance and cost.
CitationMiers, S., Chalgren, R., and Anderson, C., "Noise and Emission Reduction Strategies for a Snowmobile," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2573, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2573.
- Snook-Fussell, L.M. “Exposure of Snowmobile Riders to Carbon Monoxide.” Park Science 17 1 1997
- Piper, James W. “Powertrain.” Electric Auto Association of Phoenix 1998
- Bishop, G.A. Stedman, D.H. “An In-Use Snowmobile Emission Survey in Yellowstone National Park.” Environmental Science and Technology 33 21 1999
- California Air Resources Board “The California Low-Emissions Vehicle Regulations.” www.arb.ca.gov 1998
- Heywood, John B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill New York 1988
- Haines, Howard The Snowmobile Dilemma, or, Who Spilled What in the Refrigerator vs. Who's Going to Clean It Up? Montana Department of Environmental Quality 1999
- Honda Service Manual VFR 800FI Interceptor Honda Motor Company, Ltd. Tokyo, Japan 1998
- Canadian Renewable Fuels Association Guelph, Ontario, Canada www.greenfuels.org
- Motorcycle Online “1998 Honda VFR 800FI Interceptor.” www.motorcycle.com/mo/mchonda/98vfr800.html
- PSI Performance Snow Catalog Wild Rose, WI 1993
- Fussell, Lori M. Paddleford, Bill “The Clean Snowmobile Challenge 2000 Rules.” 1999
- Mercury Marine “Direct Injection Two-Stroke and Four-Stroke Outboards.” 1999